Security Installer Community

How To Install An Alarm?

ricool

Thanks, I do try.In future please spell my name correctly. :rolleyes:
Randy LOL
Hi there i'm about to embark on installing an alarm.Does anybody know of any good reference material that can be used to help install an alarm? - either on the web or books?How useful do people find the literature that comes with alarms? (maybe most of you don't need this now though?)Many Thanks,
Comment removed, not exactly helpful even if it was quite funny.

I'll tell you, get rid of the Public Forum, !!..DIY Alarm Installers..!!

What's the point of this Forum when almost every DIY, note, DIY, questioner is ridiculed in one way or another or told to 'get a quote'?

Most of the so called 'answers' in this thread and most of the other DIY Forum threads bare no relevance to the question, so why bother to answer (answer?), as has been requested many times in the past, if you have nothing constructive to offer, say nothing.

Excellent answer ,to many people on here only come on to ridicule some of the genuine people who need help,and their only answer to this is to reply ,get someone in .Surely we can give advice without having to say get someone all the time.

Excellent answer ,to many people on here only come on to ridicule some of the genuine people who need help,and their only answer to this is to reply ,get someone in .Surely we can give advice without having to say get someone all the time.

There are books out there what can give advice have a look in your local library or read the instructions what come with the devices they tell you how to wire them and the best locations for them,also your alarm panel will have similar instructions ,good luck.

Thank you very much for those of you who have replied with useful posts- other posts have non the less spured me on to make a successful quality job.

To be honest I was looking for some useful basic information maybe some standard basic wiring diagrams that I could read to get my head, the ones in the manual seem pretty mismashed.

I have bought all the alarm kit after many weeks of delibrating and researching and it arrived yesterday.

I did already get some quotes and to be honest the prices we're the same as what i've paid for the kit i've bought - companies we're reluctant to tell me what kit they used ''just saying yeah its only quality stuff we use'' - anyway I'm not here to slag companies off as I know there are loads of quality ones out there.

I am a very keen diy'er and actually enjoy doing it and getting my teeth into a challenge, so having weighed it up decided on going down the route of installing my own, I have my 236 pt1 and pt2 and whilst not a qualified electrician with the upto date ever changing regs feel confident with my own ability, also being a robotics engineer feel I can turn my hand to programming and electronics as I do day to day.

If I come into trouble I am sensible enough to call in someone who can help out and will more than likely have someone in to look over what i've done anyway.

Surely theres no harm in trying to save a few pounds, enjoying a challenge, learning and testing ones self.

Wish me luck!

hi ricool,

if you have a decent tool kit and can use it safely, and are proficient with wiring diagrams then you stand a fair chance. your initial limited info was as if to say your a total novice, and we have no way of telling.

many people watch the house refurbish programs on the tv, decide to knock walls down and can end up with a dangerous and be unaware of the real situation, as paint and wallpaper covers many of the mistakes from general view.

books by b.babbani (maplins) among others cover the basics as do the enclosed kit leaflets, as for advising you to system design we have no way of telling what value you are protecting or if you are more concerned about personal safety than property safety, is your house terrace, a detached mansion or a 12th floor flat in hoxton.

the installers who quoted will have to warranty and support the equipment on site 27/7, where as your 'comparable' diy system that you bought you may well successfully install it, but where will you turn if you have false alarms?

if it has gone wrong how will you decide which part is faulty? and if you can you then remove it, you take back, you argue with the supplier you did not break it, so that is partly what you paying for - piece of mind, the rest is down to a proper neat and tidy and trouble free installation.

i'm not trying to dissuade or patronise you and others, just laying out some of the facts for you and others to consider.

regs

Alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

hi ricool,

if you have a decent tool kit and can use it safely, and are proficient with wiring diagrams then you stand a fair chance. your initial limited info was as if to say your a total novice, and we have no way of telling.

many people watch the house refurbish programs on the tv, decide to knock walls down and can end up with a dangerous and be unaware of the real situation, as paint and wallpaper covers many of the mistakes from general view.

books by b.babbani (maplins) among others cover the basics as do the enclosed kit leaflets, as for advising you to system design we have no way of telling what value you are protecting or if you are more concerned about personal safety than property safety, is your house terrace, a detached mansion or a 12th floor flat in hoxton.

the installers who quoted will have to warranty and support the equipment on site 27/7, where as your 'comparable' diy system that you bought you may well successfully install it, but where will you turn if you have false alarms?

if it has gone wrong how will you decide which part is faulty? and if you can you then remove it, you take back, you argue with the supplier you did not break it, so that is partly what you paying for - piece of mind, the rest is down to a proper neat and tidy and trouble free installation.

i'm not trying to dissuade or patronise you and others, just laying out some of the facts for you and others to consider.

regs

Alan

Alan,

Thanks for your reply, I fully understand where your coming from and I can understand you must get frustrated with some diy'ers who take on a job and make a mess of it or who maybe give your trade a bad name or what ever (i'm sure you have plenty of stories or experiences where you have been shaking your head) - everyone's not the same though.

I can understand that with a professional install you get the service and support etc.

I am prepared to service and look after the system myself, if a part goes wrong or a fault occurs then I will fault find to rectifiy the problem, I fault find with my job with electronics so I am use to techniques/procedures ways to go about things - no doubt I will come on here for your or your fellow professionals wealth of experience, or again I could call out a company.

Everyone takes risks day to day in life - if you buy a fridge freezer or what ever do you take out the extended cover? - if you by a more expensive one with a better name then maybe no need - but it cost more? a cheaper one is more likely to breakdown or is it- but then again it costs less - we all have to way these sorts of things up.

Thanks for the tip on the book - I will check it out.

I have further questions but I am now reluctant to ask for fear of being ridiculed, some of which just simple - but with all your expereince you no doubt have the answers - i'm not looking for trade secrets or anything, I just want to do a quality job as I take pride in work and want it right (no doubt you the same) - not for you to be shaking your head at it! - joke! - a man's home is his castle is it not!

Anyway ramble over, cheers.

Alan,

Thanks for your reply, I fully understand where your coming from and I can understand you must get frustrated with some diy'ers who take on a job and make a mess of it or who maybe give your trade a bad name or what ever (i'm sure you have plenty of stories or experiences where you have been shaking your head) - everyone's not the same though.

I can understand that with a professional install you get the service and support etc.

I am prepared to service and look after the system myself, if a part goes wrong or a fault occurs then I will fault find to rectifiy the problem, I fault find with my job with electronics so I am use to techniques/procedures ways to go about things - no doubt I will come on here for your or your fellow professionals wealth of experience, or again I could call out a company.

Everyone takes risks day to day in life - if you buy a fridge freezer or what ever do you take out the extended cover? - if you by a more expensive one with a better name then maybe no need - but it cost more? a cheaper one is more likely to breakdown or is it- but then again it costs less - we all have to way these sorts of things up.

I have further questions but I am now reluctant to ask for fear of being ridiculed, some of which just simple - but with all your expereince you no doubt have the answers - i'm not looking for trade secrets or anything, I just want to do a quality job as I take pride in work and want it right (no doubt you the same) - not for you to be shaking your head at it! - joke! - a man's home is his castle is it not!

Dont be afraid to ask questions mate , relevant or not,some of us will do our best at answering them.After all, we all start off beginners.Again ask your questions mate.

Alan,

hi ricool,

as you have some electronics experience you should fair better than say many a plasterers or firemen for example :) .

many electricians install alarms thinking it is a simple matter for they have experience in running and connecting cables :rolleyes: , as for fault finding well put it this way imo it takes 3 years + to train an installation engineer to a reasonable standard he/she can be left to deal with any system and let loose in your home, and a further 3 years after that to train a service engineer to diagnose and /or spot many fault's before they happen.

i really wish you well as i'm sure most will, and you have every success and please ask your questions, but also please realise this is not a training school.

also consider please a pro install will most likely reduce your insurance premiums and thats year on year by say 15-20%.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived