Security Installer Community

Xp Pro V Windows Vista - Ar Should I Pass-ta?

arfur mo

i guys and girls,

been real quite lately in here so lets have a debate away from security and fire systems for a while, this is a bit like asking a taxi driver what he thinks of mini cabs :rolleyes:

my laptop decided it had had enough of me (to much Ovaltine spilled onto the keys no doubt), so now breaking in a nice shiny new Lenovo 3000 N100, all that raw power from the 2g dual core centrino has not improved my typing speed (or spelling) much though :unsure:

from inception Vista has ben roundly panned so i insisted that XP Pro to be installed not Vista. thinking about it Vista has now been around a little while i wondered if anyone has migrated over to it successfully and is it starting to get 'sorted' as all the previous MS software has been.

i remember XP was released and the manic cue's to buy it at PC World, a day or so later even bigger cue's to get it un-installed back to W98

was also tempted to try Linux so the same question arises really although i appreciate its not as compatible with lots of software.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

i guys and girls,

been real quite lately in here so lets have a debate away from security and fire systems for a while, this is a bit like asking a taxi driver what he thinks of mini cabs :rolleyes:

my laptop decided it had had enough of me (to much Ovaltine spilled onto the keys no doubt), so now breaking in a nice shiny new Lenovo 3000 N100, all that raw power from the 2g dual core centrino has not improved my typing speed (or spelling) much though :unsure:

from inception Vista has ben roundly panned so i insisted that XP Pro to be installed not Vista. thinking about it Vista has now been around a little while i wondered if anyone has migrated over to it successfully and is it starting to get 'sorted' as all the previous MS software has been.

i remember XP was released and the manic cue's to buy it at PC World, a day or so later even bigger cue's to get it un-installed back to W98

was also tempted to try Linux so the same question arises really although i appreciate its not as compatible with lots of software.

regs

alan

Vista is OK if it's on a new machine designed for it. Personally I still prefer XP, but maybe that's because it's largely sorted and I know my way around it.

Usual caveats apply for any relatively new software - check backwards compatibility on anything that's important (hardware or software).

cheers guys,

looking at the prices for legit software seems little in it between XP ans Vista, i know early on driver support was very lacking.

i was using a MAC recently, supposed to ne the dogs nutts but perhaps i'm odd (ok yes i am) but i just hated the expandind icon bar

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

I was entitled to a free upgrade to Vista Business when I bought my IBM T60 with XP Pro on it. All was well with XP, I did the upgrade, software wouldn't work, no printer drivers, even windows calendar(built into vista) failed to start. There have been a few updates and the calendar issue has been resolved but as stated earlier, I wouldn't go Vista until at least SP1 is released (I've heard October??). I have also spoken to others who say to only do a clean install, don't upgrade from XP.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

i guys and girls,

regs

alan

If you regularly install software (test/evaluation/product requirement etc) then stay well away from Vista. Your lappy is a tool to be used constructively. Unless of course you want to spend hours wasting your time trying to get it to behave and you wishing you had kept with XP.

Archived