Security Installer Community

Xp Pro V Windows Vista - Ar Should I Pass-ta?

arfur mo

Our problem is that a lot of the panel software we use won't work with VISTA......... Half of it (the old DOS based programs like Morley 3/4/5) won't even work on XP !!

Bring back Windows 98........!!

And now of course we can thank MS for updating office suite so that by default it changes the extensions on documents so you can't open them on on the old versions...... pain in the //.B.W.F.//....!!!

Our problem is that a lot of the panel software we use won't work with VISTA......... Half of it (the old DOS based programs like Morley 3/4/5) won't even work on XP !!

Vista has quite a lot of options for providing different compatibility modes for older programs - have you explored that?

• 3 weeks later...

And now of course we can thank MS for updating office suite so that by default it changes the extensions on documents so you can't open them on on the old versions...... pain in the //.B.W.F.//....!!!

With our laptops at work we use XP and Windows 98 for dos programs using a duel boot system

Avoiding Vista like the plague

Peter Robinson

Freelance

M:07889038650

thanks everyone,

when Vista was launched it soon gained the 'don't touch, not with next doors barge pole' tag.

98 & XP were the same but both did get sorted, Vista seems it is getting there but who wants to be a free testbed for a monster OS companies products?

so i'll stay xp pro for now as everything works and i simply don't need the hassle, bet in time as with 3.1, '95 & '98 they will drop support for them i'm sure and we will be strong armed to swap - but how soon will that be?

red a report that since they introduced the 'micro soft advantage' validation, they have identified many sources of pirated software, did not say what action was taken though by MS.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

• 6 months later...

Just wondering if you ever tried vista again. my laptop died on me at Christmas so

i bought a acer Aspire7720 got it on ebay from America 2 hardrives, 4gb ram, blue ray

the lot for around 600 pound also came with vista ultimate. Only thing about buying

from America is the plug and keyboard layout. I have tried programs like Honeywell's

remote servicing software and gardtec upload download you will be happy to know they

work . i have tried other computers running vista and really thought it was slow I think

you need a good spec machine for it to run smoothly. could anyone tell me what things

to look out bug wise.

I removed Vista from my Laptop.

It was simply riddled with bugs and slow beyond belief.

The spec of the laptop is high, but the performance of the OS was extremely poor.

Be very careful if you buy a laptop with Vista pre-installed as most of the hardware will only be supported by Vista specific drivers by the manufacturer.

I had a day long battle on my hands to get Vista off and install a clean working copy of XP.

In the end I had to use hacked drivers for the GFX card (which still don't work entirely properly, for instance, brightness settings do not work on log-in screen so I log in on a completely black screen :s).

I also had to create my own driver disk to get the sata drivers on and finding the right ones took 1/2 a day. Bear in mind that XP install will want to look to a floppy for the SATA drivers............no floppy disk on most new laptops.......... :smash: . Ended up using a USB floppy drive.

All in all, a painful end to a truly painful OS.

Really, I never ever experienced so many crashes, hangs or BSOD's than with Vista.....not even when I was using the similarly awful Millenium Edition. All this on a Sony Vaio designed specifically to run Vista.

Horrible

Matt Gilmartin, Sales Director

T: +44(01205) 821111 | F: +44(01205) 820316

info@smoke-screen.co.uk | www.smoke-screen.co.uk

Head office:

1-2 North End, Swineshead, Boston, Lincs PE20 3LR

Registered in the UK no. 2728491

Archived