Security Installer Community

Advice Needed

I've taken on the task of installing a door entry system throughout our company. We want to have swipe card readers and solenoids on each of a dozen doors. Access on certain doors needs to be restricted to certain individuals only. This all needs to administered centrally and every time someone passes through a door the event needs to be recorded in a database. Fortunately, i'm a computer programmer and competent electrician.

I'm quite sure that there are proprietory systems out there, but we want to have the flexibility gained by doing all this in-house. So without wanting to re-invent the wheel, I was wondering if there is anywhere where I can get information and advice from. Is this the correct forum? Or is there somewhere better?

Ian

I've taken on the task of installing a door entry system throughout our company. We want to have swipe card readers and solenoids on each of a dozen doors. Access on certain doors needs to be restricted to certain individuals only. This all needs to administered centrally and every time someone passes through a door the event needs to be recorded in a database. Fortunately, i'm a computer programmer and competent electrician.

I'm quite sure that there are proprietory systems out there, but we want to have the flexibility gained by doing all this in-house. So without wanting to re-invent the wheel, I was wondering if there is anywhere where I can get information and advice from. Is this the correct forum? Or is there somewhere better?

Ian

Hmmm as an ex IT manager who was responsible for security I would advise VERY STRONGLY INDEED not to do that.

You're entering a minefield regarding Health & Safety, Insurance, Product Liability etc. :ninja:

Don't even think about it, get professionals in. :)

Hmmm as an ex IT manager who was responsible for security I would advise VERY STRONGLY INDEED not to do that.

You're entering a minefield regarding Health & Safety, Insurance, Product Liability etc. :ninja:

Don't even think about it, get professionals in. :)

I am the IT manager in this company. The owner is asking me to do this, so it's difficult to refuse.

Ian

Hi Ian

Following up on the recommendation by Spider, i represent Access Control Technology (ACT) for your region. Please contact me by PM and i will assist you where i can.

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...

Hi mate most access systems do what your looking for e.g paxton,iet,innerrange,Act,pac, the only thing is to remember that all doors that have access put on them need to be able to be opened in an emergency(break glasses)and need to be connected to fire alarm relay if on fire route to release doors. Also now with new fire regs on locking devices you can only fit locks that comply with them. Would not fit shoot bolts or shere locks i would go for abloy handles as they look nicer and you dont get so many problems with them. Also go for prox readers as they last longer. If you have a sensitive area that needs to be armed the other side of the access controled door i would put in innerrange as this has the abillity to wire in alarm sensors and associate them to areas and areas to cards so when you badge the reader three times it sets area the other side of door.

TVX systems what a good idea by the time the picture had downloaded the intruder would have been long gone.
SFE.Solutions security systems

Archived