Security Installer Community

Grade 3 Requirements

Afternoon all,

I have just been asked to spec a job up to Grade 3 standard, I know that all items need to be to grade 3 standard but is there a rule about how the alarm sets ie Shunt lock or what about the entry route? I am also aware that you have to use key fobs to set and unset the system. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

Mr_g

I am not a alarm installer, but i would say that you would not have to have keyfobs to set and unset. Are these not a matter of choice? How long does it take to enter a four digit code? I personally would not use a keyfob as what if it got dropped out side the premises with the keys attatched :ninja: it would be his Birthday and Christmas roled into one !! :)

I am not a alarm installer, but i would say that you would not have to have keyfobs to set and unset. Are these not a matter of choice? How long does it take to enter a four digit code? I personally would not use a keyfob as what if it got dropped out side the premises with the keys attatched :ninja: hed it would be his Birthday and Christmas roled into one !! :)

you would not have a choice if it was graded.

this is a graded system, all registered firms have to fit graded systems that meet EU requirments. unlike the unregistered firms who can fit what they like, hence the price difference.

To the O/P, the grading is very complex and is a minefield to say the least. unless you have a very good understanding of it you will find it very hard to meet the standard.

it is about everything from paperwork to a cable join.

hope this offers some help.

regards

Afternoon all,

I have just been asked to spec a job up to Grade 3 standard, I know that all items need to be to grade 3 standard but is there a rule about how the alarm sets ie Shunt lock or what about the entry route? I am also aware that you have to use key fobs to set and unset the system. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

Mr_g

Hi,

Most police force requirement need a single action device for unsetting. That is why the fobs, or shunt lock.

As for grade 3, all equipment req. to be grade 3, this means the panel has to have larger standby time, all contacts must be grade 3, and all movement detectors have to be anti masking, with reporting of masking back to the controls. Don't know which panels are grade 3, but I do know that honeywell galaxy range include a grade 3 panel.

I would just sugest check that they are grade 3 when ordering.

Hope this helps

Andy

Guest anguscanplay
Afternoon all,

Thanks

Mr_g

it will have to have duel path signalling - youre able to apply for a URN ?

I am not a alarm installer, but i would say that you would not have to have keyfobs to set and unset. Are these not a matter of choice? How long does it take to enter a four digit code? I personally would not use a keyfob as what if it got dropped out side the premises with the keys attatched :ninja: it would be his Birthday and Christmas roled into one !! :)

as oposed to a member of staff writing the code on the wall next to the c/u

Hi,

Most police force requirement need a single action device for unsetting. That is why the fobs, or shunt lock.

As for grade 3, all equipment req. to be grade 3, this means the panel has to have larger standby time, all contacts must be grade 3, and all movement detectors have to be anti masking, with reporting of masking back to the controls. Don't know which panels are grade 3, but I do know that honeywell galaxy range include a grade 3 panel.

I would just sugest check that they are grade 3 when ordering.

Hope this helps

Andy

" single action device " nope its the disabling of confermation thats the issue

neither of you three have no idea what the standards entail each of you has posted a different half version and can only suceed in clouding the issue

Angus

- and yes ive got a copy in the office before you ask

it will have to have duel path signalling - youre able to apply for a URN ?

as oposed to a member of staff writing the code on the wall next to the c/u

" single action device " nope its the disabling of confermation thats the issue

neither of you three have no idea what the standards entail each of you has posted a different half version and can only suceed in clouding the issue

Angus

- and yes ive got a copy in the office before you ask

Well I don't know where you are but our police forces insist on a single action device for unsetting.

And yes I do know the standard for grade 3, but basically if the equipment that is installed is rated as grade 3 then he shouldn't have a problem.

I wasn't planning on quoting the full spec on here, but just to give a brief discription.

Regs

Andy

Guest anguscanplay
Well I don't know where you are but our police forces insist on a single action device for unsetting.

And yes I do know the standard for grade 3, but basically if the equipment that is installed is rated as grade 3 then he shouldn't have a problem.

I wasn't planning on quoting the full spec on here, but just to give a brief discription.

Regs

Andy

since when has a code been a single action device grade three is more than the spec of the equipment it has to be duel path for a start so if the o/p isnt approved he wont be doing a grade three anyway and if he is he should ask his assesors technical guys for advice

the clue is when he says " to grade three standard " no such thing it is either grade three and that decsision is down to the company doing the risk assesment or it isnt

the system must set with a positive action, i.e. a push to set or door closing. the keypad can only be used to set the system and the fob to unset within the entry time. after the timer stops the code can be used but a signal will have been sent. this is why the fob has to be used.

since when has a code been a single action device grade three is more than the spec of the equipment it has to be duel path for a start so if the o/p isnt approved he wont be doing a grade three anyway and if he is he should ask his assesors technical guys for advice

the clue is when he says " to grade three standard " no such thing it is either grade three and that decsision is down to the company doing the risk assesment or it isnt

Why if the o/p isnt approved will he/she not be "doing a grade 3"??????

if a system is installed to the relevent standards anyone can install g3 system( :cry: ) not saying it will be certificated but it will still be installed to g3 standard..I.e dual path signalling,anti mask detectors etc

and you also do get grade 4 systems as well if system is being installed from a spec/tender the custome does sometimes situplate what grade the system will be

Guest anguscanplay
Why if the o/p isnt approved will he/she not be "doing a grade 3"??????

if a system is installed to the relevent standards anyone can install g3 system( :cry: ) not saying it will be certificated but it will still be installed to g3 standard..I.e dual path signalling,anti mask detectors etc

and you also do get grade 4 systems as well if system is being installed from a spec/tender the custome does sometimes situplate what grade the system will be

customer cant stipulate the grade only the certifiying installation company can during their risk assesment - if the customer wants grade 2X but the site is grade three they have grade three or the grading has failed and we wouldnt be doing the install - the ball is in our court not theirs

grade four commercially available

cant get duel path and URN unless you are approved but i aint doing that old chestnut again

my point wasnt so much with the o/p who should have known the regs and if he didnt he has the ssaib to ask but not in a public forum

Archived