Security Installer Community

Lcd Tv Prices Dropping

arfur mo

Guest anguscanplay
i've noticed even with the higher priced sets on display in the big stores, the scenes tend to jump rather than be smooth, if you watch a slow power boat the coast or bank seems to move in lumps. is that due to scaling for the 625 format?

regs

alan

no alan its due to everybody buying into the my toys bigger than yours game - our main telly blew on boxing day and spent hours in comet trying to get a cup off tea of them whilst looking at the display - wanted it to be a real life test - in the end we paid a man to repair the old one as there was no way any of the sets were up to it

they actually are better on spec but to the human eye its all wrong and were buying the wrong technology

i'd buy full HD not just "HD ready"

bear in ming plasma is much heavier, cant really display stable picture for long (including teletext, on screen menu)

and uses at least two times more power than LCD

its sharper, got better contrast tho'

AOL is good quality kit, its not cheap chinese noname

hi quasar,

when you say 'full' i assume meaning it has the tuner, a bit puzzled as if so i'm on SKy will this not do that job anyway (for the extra subs)?

when i first started looking, one sales guy said if you did this and the main set go's pop you throw the tuner to, and if a new widget comes out (and they always do) same thing to upgrade, comment which i thought had a lot of merit.

there was a gadget show on the box about 6 months back, one presenter guy set up a plasma and also LCD side by side, then got his colleague's to do the 'tell butter v marge' test, 3 out of the 4 presenters chose the lcd screen to be best thought it was a plasma, yet the plasma cost 40% more at the time.

i agree when you say AOC is a justifiably trusted respected name, and one of the big reasons i was attracted to it in the 1st place, but is a 'ready' not a 'full'.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest Sparky169
no alan its due to everybody buying into the my toys bigger than yours game - our main telly blew on boxing day and spent hours in comet trying to get a cup off tea of them whilst looking at the display - wanted it to be a real life test - in the end we paid a man to repair the old one as there was no way any of the sets were up to it

they actually are better on spec but to the human eye its all wrong and were buying the wrong technology

i agree with you angus these new so called technological tv sets are not a clear as the old crt

a good thing to think about is i have installed a lcd screen and a crt screen on the same cctv system in a resturant have a guess which gives the better picture to the eye but on spec it says differently

you guessed right if you said the crt gave the better picture to eye and the lcd showed the spec to be better than crt.

i agree with you angus these new so called technological tv sets are not a clear as the old crt

a good thing to think about is i have installed a lcd screen and a crt screen on the same cctv system in a resturant have a guess which gives the better picture to the eye but on spec it says differently

you guessed right if you said the crt gave the better picture to eye and the lcd showed the spec to be better than crt.

hi sparky169,

i agree, and think it will be some time yet (if ever) crt gets surpassed regarding 'true perception' quality, the sets that boast HD are now seemingly only LCD/Plasma, and they are less space consuming than the 32" monster cased unit i have, the wife likes the idea from the aesthetic, rather picture aspect.

for me, having the xb360, and like the PS3 theres a lot of wow praise going the rounds for the super in-game picture quality using HD, really what i want it for (don't tell the wife though :rolleyes: ). also having a VGA 'D' input brilliant for PC games like Doom 3 and half life, compared to the 19" lcd monitor, i already have the powerful surround sound cinema setup, so i will feel like being inside the game - and so will the neighbours lol.

regs

alan

LCD V Plasma same as VHS V Betamax, there will always be arguements which is best!

I look at all the display TV's in the shops now but you simply compare like for like so it's hard to judge.

The plasma TV's do seem to run very hot meaning they must use lots of power? That's a big deal in our house as the TV is on when someone's home, with four adults in the house someone always wants to be watching something!

The LCD TV's had a question mark over brightness of their display, I think that's been sussed now as they look bright in well lit shops.....

I was one of the first in the country to buy a widescreen TV, it was a special order Philips 32" Matchline 100Hz Digital Scan PIP and it was the dogs wottsits. It had the brightest most lifelike picture I have ever seen, it had a PSU fault after about 12-13 years use and went for repair at a local TV repair shop, they used it to watch the World Cup on out of everything in the shop so that gives you an idea of picture quaility....

Sadly the tube started to go and was no longer made so it got left behind at my old house, new owner knew it had little colour but possibly thought it was repairable.....

Well that was about four or five years ago, widescreen TV's were about back then but cost 2-3k, I looked at them carefully and decided that they were not up to the old CRT yet so I bought a limited edition Finlux gloss black 32" PIP, same spec as the Phillips, it was the only TV at that spec I could find in gloss black, all the other stuff was silver and I hate silver TV's as I think a TV needs a dark surround to frame the picture. Well that had a 5 year warranty but four years later the picture shows lots of yellow/green on dark scenes. (Any TV engineers know anything about Finlux, engineer menu etc??) The shop that sold it has gone, the shop that bought them is up for sale with nobody working! ARgghhhh! Looks like new TV time again!!!

Personaly, if I can get an LCD to at least the same spec, 100Hz picture and PIP then that's what I'll get, seen too many plasma bolts on Star Trek to trust um! :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

hi luggsey,

the specon the set i linked to looks good on paper, high spec's and good luminescence and contrast quoted, also has pip.

:!: why don't you buy one, then tell me if its any good? you don't like it i'buy from you cheaper :whistle: , if you do like it i know what to buy ;)

well -i can try can't i?

lol

regs

alan

hi quasar,

when you say 'full' i assume meaning it has the tuner, a bit puzzled as if so i'm on SKy will this not do that job anyway (for the extra subs)?

when I say full HD i mean resolution

thats the idea of having high definition tv, isnt it?

you can find two TVs, same size screen, say 42'

full HD can display 1920x1080 pixels

HD ready only 1366x768 pixels

(smaller screens even less)

480px-Standard_video_res.svg.png

to make the same screen size manufacturers have to "stretch" smaller screen

same as so called "digital zoom" in cameras

you are not going to get any more details, its just got bigger pixels

your avatar would look like that

post-10937-1176314014.jpg

when I say full HD i mean resolution

thats the idea of having high definition tv, isnt it?

you can find two TVs, same size screen, say 42'

full HD can display 1920x1080 pixels

HD ready only 1366x768 pixels

(smaller screens even less)

480px-Standard_video_res.svg.png

to make the same screen size manufacturers have to "stretch" smaller screen

same as so called "digital zoom" in cameras

you are not going to get any more details, its just got bigger pixels

your avatar would look like that

post-10937-1176314014.jpg

hi quasar,

sorry for the dumb question :raining: but this is new territory for me, no point in me acting like i know what your saying if i don't cause thats really dumb :'(

many thanks for the explanation very much appreciated as i had not cottoned onto that aspect (no pun intended).

regs

alan

my advice is:

go and watch :yes:

visit john lewis or richersound showroom and see what YOU need, what you like

ask them all questions you need answered

then...

buy online :P

AOC 32' Resolution1366 x 768 is really good

for THAT size

but you dont know picture quality untill you actually watch it

its not just resolution

it can have e.g.

extremely red color temperature that cannot be adjusted