Security Installer Community

Cables In Ducts

Hi there all, hope everyones easter has been quiet, ( except for the unfortunate ones on call!! :no: )

Just wondering what other engineers use cable wise when using ducts?, to run Node links to external buildings?.

Have tended to use normal 8 core screened cable, but interested what others may use/ have used?.

cheers Ross

we use direct burial cable in ducting. at the minute i have just taken over project management for a big house we have been involved in for about a year. and i jhave told our guys to take all the 8 cores out from the ducting and replace them with appropriate cable due to several problems with the existing

Eucam Security Systems

0845 4630 746

www.eucam.co.uk

We use normal 8 core, always pull in a spare cable and insist that the duct is from inside one building to inside the other to prevent any water ingress

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

We use normal 8 core, always pull in a spare cable and insist that the duct is from inside one building to inside the other to prevent any water ingress

I find almost all ducts have water in them to some degree and it never dries out. Because of that you need to use duct rated cable which is 100% waterproof and tough enough to have other cables dragged in on top of it. Standard alarm cable will let water in soon enough....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

hi all,

anyone remember a similar thread about water pipe? :rolleyes:

personally, i always run a decent plastic conduit (i dare not say water pipe here) reason being there may be little in the duct when you install your cables, but other trades or rodents may come in behind you and cause cable damage.

the nature of our business means you will only find out about it when its freezing cold and usually about 3 am on a Sunday morning :realmad:

so imo for the cost involved it's not worth arguing about ;)

your call obviously, i just make it bullet proof not just future proof

regs

Alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Ducting = duct grade, anything else is bad practice, you will always get water in ducting.

and you always filthy pulling in a new cable too :realmad:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

good 8 core duct cable available from Newey&Eyre 7-2-8C PVC/twbc/PVC pvc braided steel Armour PVC then norm 8 core in side we have used lengths up to 500m but sure you can get longer if req not to expencive

www.AllanMoncrieffAlarms.com

Guest Sparky169

i have always wondered that how water can get into a duct when its supposedly sealed and the ends come in the building?

Archived