Security Installer Community

Novice Bell Box Woes...

Ginger

Guest anguscanplay
Careful doing this - some bells don't like it as the tamper return is only supposed to be a signal path, not designed to carry a current. If you do this you MUST make sure the second bell is SCB.

Better way is to take one neg return to the tamper return on the panel, and take the other one to a relay which is wired to a zone programmed as tamper.

D7

respect but what is it carrying on this specific instance then its not data is it neg up neg down through a switch in the box itself

never seen the point of adding a part to a panel to make it do something it does anyway

how will that trigger the external sounder if the external sounder cover is removed as per bs 4737 and the new euro things i can never remember the numbers to

never use scb on a conventonal new sounder - nicads - are not stable they fail regularly and you then have no sound

I fully intend to concentrate my efforts on the one box first, and the suggested wiring/connections for the one box are a lot easier to grasp than two. When wiring the two together, I gather the tamper circuit must be implemented for the return? There is just a link in the panel for all tamper circuits at the minute whilst I was

Not winding me up, it's my summary of the very many posts I've seen here on what external bells/sirens to fit on a domestic. i.e. maybe not that difficult to do, but not worth doing - use one real (and one dummy if appropriate) in most non-monitored or DIY situations.

Feel free to start a thread on this, us DIY-ers would appreciate some thoroughly considered (and argued) advice. I have no opinion, just repeating what you guys have said.....

No doubt some people will (as ever) use it to show how clever they are, but us DIY-ers would just like to know if it's worth doing (and why) and if so an easy way to get it right ourselves. :rolleyes:

My view is that a rear sounder has no detterant leds, scum jump over a back fence or garden hop and see the leds flashing from a distance may make them carry on.

A front sounder can hardly if at all be heard round the back, so if scum broke in and your neighbours are in there garden or have a rear window open it all helps to alert people.

Another thing is most people have DG windows, so lets make some noise.

The thing is most companies want to in and out as quick as they can but a rear sounder is a chargable extra so if the customer agrees its all extra paid work.

I have 2 live sounders on my house, we have a culvert and fields at the end of our garden and a lot of our neighhbours spend a fair bit of time in theirs.

My view anyway.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

I wasnt having a pop mate, sorry if it came over that way.

No, it didn't. Just came over as a comment on how to do pro install and it was a DIY question, so was it actually relevant and useful to the OP?

Observation: We all do this (including me), respond to the latest post without looking to see what the original question was about. Fine (maybe) if it's dead or answered as it's just chit-chat, but confusing if it's still active.

Archived