Security Installer Community

Novice Bell Box Woes...

Ginger

from my observation's,

very often a further reply is made after an initial one, and the frst author member see's it as saying his answer was not as good or good enough. so i say 'calm down dears it's only a forum'.

we are trying to help both public and trade, so please don't be so reactive and sensative, nobody knows it all (well apart from me :rolleyes:) so please wind all your knecks in, nobody is intentionally insulting anyone else other than insulting me - Arfur :cry: .

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest anguscanplay
well done for installing your own system it gives you the satisfaction of a job well done that we feel every day

really simple answer to your questions though i would advise at this stage to get a local engineer in to commision the system and demo how to prog the speech dialler ( never the easiest of beasts) etc

now you have done all the hard work spend some of the money saved having the system set up correctly

like i said originally now is the time to get a profesional in this type of problem can be a major pain to sort remotely

honestly youve done your best its not worth anymore agro let us sort it

well done to get this far

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Ginger, is it the same if you wire the rear siren in without the front one?

you might be better to remove a siren and take to the alarm panel, with a spare legnth of cable wire it in, that way you will have the test and results to hand, i do suggest a set of ear defenders from B&Q or Wickes.

don't get frustrated, we have all been there in our learning days, ad you have done very well so far.

regs

alan

Dear Alan (arfer Mo)

Please excuse me if i stepping out of line in changing the subject here, i've never used a forum before, spent all night looking for some information, stumbled upon this subject, been very impressed with your patience and understanding and wonder whether you might be able to help me, a fellow essex man with a small technical query?

I've had a Securit 700L alarm system in staorage for some time (I had originally installed it and then removed it from my previous property). On unpacking and checking it I have found that the Ni-Cd battery for the bell box has leaked. In an attempt to identify its voltage and capacity i have removed the shrink wrap from the battery pack, it consists of 5 button cells spot welded together in series but their is no other useful information stamped onto them.

I'm assuming each cell is 1.2V to make a 6V pack but would like to be sure! I've installed the alarm system minus the aforementioned battery pack and everything works well, checked the voltage at the bell box battery connections which measures 12 volts but i do appreciate thats an unloaded output from the charging circuit.

My question is; are all bell box battery packs 6 volts or could it something else? I've located what i think might be the right battery at the following site but i would very much appreciate your advise (I don't know much about alarm systems!).

http://www.diy-alarms.co.uk/catalog/produc...?products_id=44

Thanks for your attention,

Dickie

Dear Alan (arfer Mo)

Please excuse me if i stepping out of line in changing the subject here, i've never used a forum before, spent all night looking for some information, stumbled upon this subject, been very impressed with your patience and understanding and wonder whether you might be able to help me, a fellow essex man with a small technical query?

I've had a Securit 700L alarm system in staorage for some time (I had originally installed it and then removed it from my previous property). On unpacking and checking it I have found that the Ni-Cd battery for the bell box has leaked. In an attempt to identify its voltage and capacity i have removed the shrink wrap from the battery pack, it consists of 5 button cells spot welded together in series but their is no other useful information stamped onto them.

I'm assuming each cell is 1.2V to make a 6V pack but would like to be sure! I've installed the alarm system minus the aforementioned battery pack and everything works well, checked the voltage at the bell box battery connections which measures 12 volts but i do appreciate thats an unloaded output from the charging circuit.

My question is; are all bell box battery packs 6 volts or could it something else? I've located what i think might be the right battery at the following site but i would very much appreciate your advise (I don't know much about alarm systems!).

http://www.diy-alarms.co.uk/catalog/produc...?products_id=44

Thanks for your attention,

Dickie

Hi Dickie,

the number of 'buttons' cells in the cell pack is the clue to the voltage and vary with makers, you should be able to get a the correct replacement pack from RS Components or direct from makers (just google it). some security wholesalers may sell you one. that supplier if told the siren make and model should be able t match it for you.

:hmm: given the external siren is your main 'weapon' of defence, and the effort needed in you getting it onto the wall, i would concider getting a new recently designed siren for the following very good reasons -:

the battery has leaked out so why? it suggests to me either there was a short circuit (perhaps uninsulated leads in storage), or the battery is being overcharged, and/or the siren is fairly old.

more importantly, all recent sirens (last 5 years) have a safety timer built in, this is on top of the bell run timer in the panel, and is in order to conform with recent noise pollution act issue's and the possible fines arising from them (upto 5K so ouch!).

if the siren sounds for more than 20 minute's. the control unit timer may not always stop the siren as it should, there are circumstances where it won't or can't stop the siren like a cable fault or lightning strike, and trust me they always go wrong when it's pouring down with rain and while your away, or have had a skinful :yes: , and we don't want any more Emu puppeteers falling of ladders now do we :) . so be careful up there, or get someone who is trained and competant in the use of ladders.

regs

alan

Hi Dickie,

the number of 'buttons' cells in the cell pack is the clue to the voltage and vary with makers, you should be able to get a the correct replacement pack from RS Components or direct from makers (just google it). some security wholesalers may sell you one. that supplier if told the siren make and model should be able t match it for you.

:hmm: given the external siren is your main 'weapon' of defence, and the effort needed in you getting it onto the wall, i would concider getting a new recently designed siren for the following very good reasons -:

the battery has leaked out so why? it suggests to me either there was a short circuit (perhaps uninsulated leads in storage), or the battery is being overcharged, and/or the siren is fairly old.

more importantly, all recent sirens (last 5 years) have a safety timer built in, this is on top of the bell run timer in the panel, and is in order to conform with recent noise pollution act issue's and the possible fines arising from them (upto 5K so ouch!).

if the siren sounds for more than 20 minute's. the control unit timer may not always stop the siren as it should, there are circumstances where it won't or can't stop the siren like a cable fault or lightning strike, and trust me they always go wrong when it's pouring down with rain and while your away, or have had a skinful :yes: , and we don't want any more Emu puppeteers falling of ladders now do we :) . so be careful up there, or get someone who is trained and competant in the use of ladders.

regs

alan

Dear Alan,

Thank s for your advise, I shall put the money I would have spent on a battery pack towards a new bell box. I notice earlier the mention of an 'SCB' bell box (not heard of SCB before), my installation manual only mentions 'SAB' and Activeguard. I think the link to the web page below is the one i'm looking for but i'm a little worried that i might inadvertantly, through total ignorance purchase an SCB type (they don't seem to spell it out under the descriptions!). Do you think the Intellisense AG6 Activeguard from Alert Electrical is OK or would you advise me to get a different one from somewhere else? (I'm near Chelmsord in case you can recommend someone to buy from - within a 15 or so mile radius is no problem).

http://www.alertelectrical.com/Burglar-Ala...ox-AG6ALERT.asp

Again, many thanks for your kind assistance,

Dickie

Dear Alan,

Thank s for your advise, I shall put the money I would have spent on a battery pack towards a new bell box. I notice earlier the mention of an 'SCB' bell box (not heard of SCB before), my installation manual only mentions 'SAB' and Activeguard. I think the link to the web page below is the one i'm looking for but i'm a little worried that i might inadvertantly, through total ignorance purchase an SCB type (they don't seem to spell it out under the descriptions!). Do you think the Intellisense AG6 Activeguard from Alert Electrical is OK or would you advise me to get a different one from somewhere else? (I'm near Chelmsord in case you can recommend someone to buy from - within a 15 or so mile radius is no problem).

http://www.alertelectrical.com/Burglar-Ala...ox-AG6ALERT.asp

Again, many thanks for your kind assistance,

Dickie

hi dickie,

the siren chosen is the one i use and is an SAB (Self Activating Bell) where as SCB (Self Contained Bell) is an older and now less popular method of wiring the same device, selecting which method is an engineering program option.

activgaurd is usually where the siren is monitored for charging and proper operation among other things higher security by the panel.

regs

alan

Archived