Guest anguscanplay
thanks 'son'

now can you have a pocket money increase now? :no:

:P

regs

alan

im not sharing my inheritance with anybody

time for your medication dad

As noted earlier, getting a second siren working can be quite tricky and it doesn't really add anything - so the professional's say and I believe them. :rolleyes:

Hmmmmmm just about to commission a system with two bells, as one cannot be heard on the other side of the building and visa versa.

True not done everyday but as and when needs must as they say :D

cheers

Hmmmmmm just about to commission a system with two bells, as one cannot be heard on the other side of the building and visa versa.

True not done everyday but as and when needs must as they say :D

cheers

Domestic situation like the OP described? :whistle:

Based on comments I've seen many times that is excellent advice to a DIY-er.

From what I've seen in these forums it is considered "normal practice" to only have 1 working external siren on a "bells only" domestic installation, with any additional unit being just a dummy, or with just LED's flashing to be visible at night.

So I would give up on making the second unit sound, though if you've got the wiring in you might as well leave the LED's running.

As noted earlier, getting a second siren working can be quite tricky and it doesn't really add anything - so the professional's say and I believe them. :rolleyes:

I disagree, quite regulaly recommend 2nd live sounder, and it is as easy as fitting one :yes:

Nothing tricky, some pro has been winding you up Andy mate.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

I disagree, quite regulaly recommend 2nd live sounder, and it is as easy as fitting one :yes:

Hi,

I agree with ADI that if your gonna get your ladders out to put a dummy bell box up, you might aswell spend 10 minutes longer slinging a wire across and making it live. The only more taxing thing for a DIYer is the tamper between them and thats it everything else is straight forward.

If someone trys breaking into your house at the back i'd want them to know about it!!!!!!! :ranting::realmad:

Ross

Not winding me up, it's my summary of the very many posts I've seen here on what external bells/sirens to fit on a domestic. i.e. maybe not that difficult to do, but not worth doing - use one real (and one dummy if appropriate) in most non-monitored or DIY situations.

Feel free to start a thread on this, us DIY-ers would appreciate some thoroughly considered (and argued) advice. I have no opinion, just repeating what you guys have said.....

No doubt some people will (as ever) use it to show how clever they are, but us DIY-ers would just like to know if it's worth doing (and why) and if so an easy way to get it right ourselves. :rolleyes:

the return from the front sounder becomes the neg hold off for the rear sounder the return from the rear sounder goes to the c/u

this applies to 99.9 percent of external sounders

i dont really like two external sounders i have always felt that as they are not syncronized the the combined effect is weaker

Careful doing this - some bells don't like it as the tamper return is only supposed to be a signal path, not designed to carry a current. If you do this you MUST make sure the second bell is SCB.

Better way is to take one neg return to the tamper return on the panel, and take the other one to a relay which is wired to a zone programmed as tamper.

D7

hi guys,

lets not loose sight of the fact we are assisting a public member with we assume limited knowledge. as such the advice should be aimed towards a level they have a chance of understanding.

i also point out the o/p has already run a cable and tried to connect it, nett results = flashing 'wally lights' but no external sirens as yet.

now if it is wise or not to have 1, 2 or 5 active sirens is up to the individuals opinion to decide, but is not our concern, the o/p is not wrong to have the extra security it affords so nobody is going to be 'right' on this other than him. why confuse the issue arguing the toss?

1) the main advice is to get one siren working properly first.

2) run the system for a period of several weeks and see if it is reliable, if it is not reliable a single siren is less distressing to neigbours.

3) if all is well either attempt to graft in the second siren himself or call in a pro to do so, at this point any faults can be addressed by him/her.

4) he can come back for more 'very clear' help i hope.

my opinion fwiw,

a second siren will always add to the security either 'bells only' or 'ARC' connected.

why? it makes it far harder to disable the external warnings in one go if there are two of them, as you need 2 intruders with 2 ladders to initiate a simultaneous attack.

following comment now acting as a moderator.

having said that the perceived value and risk would be part of a risk assesment caried out when you visit and view the premmises - as none of us have, please advise public members with that caution in mind - Arfur.

is this a forum 1st? a moderator modding his own post :fear: ?

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived