Security Installer Community

Which Control Panel Can Provide This Facility?

Or rather than a panel, a 1 gang light switch with a bit of tape stuck across it that says 'ON' and 'OFF' in a legible format. Much easier than a Galaxy or similar if you don't 'do alarms'.

Or a couple of tin cans and a piece of string...what could be more simpler??????????????

hi bugsley999,

i fear this is turning into a pride battle between engineers of different trades,

1. Nope not part of the industry.

2. Been in industrial automation / control engineering for 25 years so know a little bit that's slightly related.

we do repect your knowledge in your own field (as i'd hope you do ours), if i posted on your forum an idea for setting 3 lathes and 4 robots what would be your own reaction, simple because you know how, i'm an alarm engineer but do not know your components.

3. Trying to find out what software facilities are available on control boxes appears to be like finding rocking horse manure which is why I asked the question.

4. The Texecom Veritas range for example, does not appear to have the facility for timed arming of any zone and that's as basic a system as I would think anyone would buy.

in truth most alarm panels have effectively the same basic abillitie's available which match the market they are commonly sold in, it's all down to the software once the terminal blocks are fitted. the 'cleverer ones' have more exotic features achieved in slightly different ways.

5. The Texecom Premier 24 does appear to have the timed arming facility, but finding out whether or not one can get it to alarm on the panel but not the main bell I have been unable to figure out.

i'm not into Texecom but i'm sure it can do most things you are asking as all the more powerful panels can, in the UK market auto timed 'on' zones are rarely used other in very high security situations simply because the risk of false alarms, that why it's not 'pushed'.

6. Where does one get information to compare the software features of different systems ?

this would b a knightmare even for us, some of the terminology used differes between maker as do the extent of each feature or device ie units which add more zones RIO - LIM - ZEM and so on, then you have modules for output's, makes for highly adaptable systems but harder to compare like on like or for cost.

7. I know it should be do able - but what bit of kit will do it most cost effectively?

please see my previous post :D O G:

Bugsley

if you want it to be bigest bang for buck then get quotes from a decent installer in, tell them what you want decide and sit back, and i hope this advice helps. if the idea is to save cost 'or have a go' then run in the cables from point to point to control position, use 8 core stranded cable for the alarm devices and sirens and screened 8 core for keypad/s, it's got to be said we have our tricks to hide most cables - it's just what we do so if you want a neat hidden result it may pay better to get in a 'pro'.

you can get an installer to fit and commission the detection and set it up. there are many simple errors to be made with our kit as we use such small currents, i could spent an hour teaching you how to join 2 wires together properly and why we don't do it any other way. we make lots of lolly finding the faults and putting them right for the diy market, as i'm sure you would if we commiosioned a new production line, so all respects are served

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest Peter James

Bugsley

Auto arming is available but not on DIY panels, why not buy an access control panel and software that would do everything you want and available to diy customers, not cheap though.

Bugsley

Auto arming is available but not on DIY panels, why not buy an access control panel and software that would do everything you want and available to diy customers, not cheap though.

I might be missing the point here so apologies if due, but why should/would an Access Control panel and software be available to diy customers??

Andrew

I think I have decided to install a Texecom control panel. Perhaps someone could highlight the differences in software facilities between the Premier 24 (I have the installation manual ) and the larger units to assist me in choosing the right unit.

I note other comments and have wondered how or if to comment on them without starting a flaming war. :bruce_h4h::ranting:

I think it's appropriate to say that I personally found some of the comments a little condecending. I don't profess to be in your business and have no wish to be, but don't assume because I'm not that that makes me or anyone else who you don't know fundamentally incompetent to use your industries equipment as a competent DIY'er.

I hold a degree in electrical and electronic engineering.

I am certified to work on 11kV systems - I think I'm aware of basic electrical safety issues.

I install and commission process instrumentation systems at microvolt levels - I think I'm well aware of issues relating to low voltage signalling and how to join two wires together.

I have no doubt I will run into some issues regarding the programming of the system due to unfamiliarity with the equipment and possibly some lack of knowledge of terminology and I would hope that if I do, this forum or a member on it, professional or otherwise, would be willing to offer assistance to solve my difficulties.

Anyhow, I'm planning on having a go, for better or worse. :fear:

Thank you for all your comments and seasons greetings to you all.

Bugsley

Happy Christmas Bugley.

I think the reason behind some of the comments is the common belief that what you are about to try to do is easy.

The texecom range is well focused to the 'new' guy and the manauls are very supportive.

Good luck

And happy christmas

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

If I were you I would go for the Premier 48 instead of the 24, the 48 has 4 areas and for the application you are going to use it you may need to put the external beams in their own area.

We will try to help with programming, but there is only so much info we can give out in public.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Guest Peter James
I might be missing the point here so apologies if due, but why should/would an Access Control panel and software be available to diy customers??

Andrew

Hi Andrew

Granted that not all AC hardware/software is available to diy, but I have seen some diy websites selling some fairly comprehensive kit.

Pete

Guest Peter James
I note other comments and have wondered how or if to comment on them without starting a flaming war. :bruce_h4h::ranting:

I think it's appropriate to say that I personally found some of the comments a little condecending. I don't profess to be in your business and have no wish to be, but don't assume because I'm not that that makes me or anyone else who you don't know fundamentally incompetent to use your industries equipment as a competent DIY'er.

Bugsley

Hi Bugsley

Welcome to the forum

Please dont take this the wrong way, some of us have a hard time communicating, some have a weird sense of humour, but we all mean well otherwise we wouldnt be here. :ninja:

We get lots of people on this forum that have seen a picture of a screwdriver and think they can now install an alarm system, and when we get asked questions that are a little out of the norm some do start asking questions in return rather than coming out with a straight answer.

Dont worry the Mods will keep an eye on your topic and if we see anything that is out of order it will be dealt with. :whistle:

Please keep your topic going dont be put off, GUYS BEHAVE YOURSELVES, enjoy your stay you will find lots of chaps that will assist.

Pete :rolleyes:

Hi Andrew

Granted that not all AC hardware/software is available to diy, but I have seen some diy websites selling some fairly comprehensive kit.

Pete

Tch! Peter,

will you please not buy your kit of Ebay

:P

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived