Security Installer Community

Power To Shed

Guest projectfocus

Guest projectfocus

I am about to run some power to my from the house. I have used Armoured cable to be dug into the ground. The issue I have is what sort of distribution do you need at the shed end. I will be running a circuit breaker in the kitchen and taking the power off that to the shed. I just really wanted to know what the best form of protection will be needed in the shed. It is all watertight so no need for waterproof stuff. MAybe some sort of inline RCD going to 2 sockets?

What would you do?

Even if you know what your doing, as they say, don't chance it. I have just put 4 outside lights in my garden with SWA cable, wired it all, called the inspectors out and they made me redig my trech to prove it was burried more than 500mm deep with 'caution tape'.

Also, if it goes faulty and someone gets injured, YOU! could end up in prison. Seriously!

Just trying to do my job

Finishing the job

If you're not Part P, don't even think about it. I do commercial electrics all the time but even I get stuff at home done by a Part P electrician. (Most of the time I could have done a better job but that's not the point). Really must get round to getting cert'ed.

Matt

hi guys,

all the above is very good advice, given the seerious penalties involved not much has been advertised about it, so how do the public know? go into any DIY Shed or electrical wholesaler i have never notice any large warning signs about it.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest projectfocus

Right but that is besides the point I was wanting confirmation that my ideas were correct from other people in the know. This reg only came out this year though.

your avatar then is that what happened to your shed lol

:roflmao:

I like it!

If I didn't store 120+ fire extinguishers in there it could well have.

I wired up the wifes greenhouse by adding a new breaker into the house fuse box and running armoured cable out under the foundations to a consumer box and lighting this summer, but in Englishire that's not allowed/legal I now realise.

A couple of national customers we do emergency lighting for asked about this Part P qualification last year. I didn't know about it at the time and only found out by trying to book courses with the Scottish Electrical Contractors Trade association (SELECT) who filled me in about it.

Am I correct in saying that if Part P comes to Scotland my electrician who is 16th edition qualified would need to become qualified to Part P? Surely not.

Sorry to go a bit off topic.

Chris.

Guest projectfocus

I have had a look into this and you can do the work yourself and have it inspected. Does anyone have the regs that need to be complied with. To make sure that it installed to a Part P passable state.

Archived