Security Installer Community

Power To Shed

Guest projectfocus

Guest projectfocus

Well on reading the regs it states that all garden wiring via outdoor armoured cable is exempt from paert p regs if it is fitted to a 13a plug.

Well that is that solved then I will use a RCD in the kitchen off a existing socket. Plug the cabling into that with a plug and run it up the Garden. Then put a termination block in the shed and run that to 2 sockets on the wall.

Maybe a good Idea to put some protection up in the shed aswell. What would you advise. Maybe another RCD?

The regualtions are there in spirit too mate, you should not be looking for 'a way round them'

And trust me it isnt exempt as its not portable equipment.

You CANNOT fit 2 RCD's and asking if you think you can is scary. I cant advise you on this, and part P states competant person, what do you think makes you competant.

Its not protectionism as stated in another post as im not a practising spark. But i think this may not be a good idea, how will you make the glands off into a plug, how you gonna check your earth is sufficent, how you gonna calculate the size for the run etc etc.

Please be very careful, You will also have to do your own cert to keep the inspector happy how you gonna do that?

Do you know what a Zs value is?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Guest projectfocus

I have to say this is insane. If I was to run a standard ext cable out to the shed I could do this fine. In Fact this would then not be Armoured and would not be as safe. No reg to say I would need a RCD on the ext cable.

The fact is I just wanted to make the safest I pos could. The reg are then to ensure it but in truth it will just make people want to go the easy route and install something that is not safe. There seems to me to be no sense in that at all.

I have to say this is insane. If I was to run a standard ext cable out to the shed I could do this fine. In Fact this would then not be Armoured and would not be as safe. No reg to say I would need a RCD on the ext cable.

The fact is I just wanted to make the safest I pos could. The reg are then to ensure it but in truth it will just make people want to go the easy route and install something that is not safe. There seems to me to be no sense in that at all.

are the dictum of "so the the law is an ass" has reared its head, who said regs had to have any common sense? if it was common sense we would not need regs would we:P

on the face of it you are correct but not wise to traps an extension lead over plants etc as it will become a permenant feaure and one day a victim of a shovel or fork. what guys on here try to do is forsee any future 'bumps' and guide you arround them. for instance you may sell your house in 5 years time, the surveyor picks up and notes your bit of dodgy 3 core flex, and your buyer knocks your price down on it, or worse the motgage company kick up as follows -:.

you think something as small as this would not worry anyone :rolleyes: i bought my home 6 years ago, the mortgage got held up and i nearly lost the buy because there was a mention of an Ash Tree close to the dwelling. i looked long and hard for it but could not see one, thinking a mistake had been made, finally the surveyor returned my frantic calls to say it was only a small sapling growing from a drain at the back, we are talking a massive diam of about 8 mm and 18" tall growing from a soak-away.

see what i mean?

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest projectfocus

Like I said I was never planning to do it the botch way. I am trying to make it safe. That is my main concern.

It is going to be only like a 10 Meter run using 1.5mm Armoured cable. RCD off a Existing plug. Fused at the shed then wired to a Double Socket. The cable will be dug into the ground. I may not be a qualified Sparky with Part P but I am a Compitant Person. After all I have Worked as a Repair Technican, Telecoms Engineer / Installer and Building Management Technical Support.

This is not exactly a demanding job really.

I do know where you are coming from though. I had issues when I was buying the house with it not having a Fenca Certificate for the new Windows. It put the house back by a couple of weeks. I suppose I will have to find a person with Part P to sign it off. I know a few sparkies as mates so may have to call in a favour.

Guest projectfocus

That would make it so I am wasting to much of their time. This way I could get them round for a few bevies get it all signed off and be good. As you know it is not a hard job but these things do take time. Time is money and I don't want to waste to much of theirs.

It is all good atleast I have come out of this with a plan of action.

Archived