Security Installer Community

Old Panels And Detectors (80's And 90's Era)

Matt Ward

Guest Alarm Guard

I am amazed that these are still available. Why??? Surely nobody actually fits them???

I fitted a few, but that was years ago... Whistle said they were made from 1989, but I think the ones I installed were earlier, around 1983-1985

Remember these ultrasonics?

http://groups.msn.com/UKSecurityPanels/ari...amp;PhotoID=455

We mainly fitted the slightly larger version of this (years ago that is!).

i remmember those, was the slightly larger version the Advisor 3?

Advisor had another multi-head version with a satin finish indicator plate to show movement and which head had triggered, little 3 way toggle switch reset - off - on. this allowed zillions of them on one zone, panels back then were a little restricted in zones available to say the least :rolleyes: 1st head to alarm showed as a steady 'on' LED at the head as well as the panlel, others tripped showed as 'blinks'. they were fairly good, but if used in a house the client had to shut doors on live rooms in part set or they would 'bleed' and movement in the bedroom or landing would trip the lounge.

:hmm: makes me wonder if that local indicator panel idea could ever 're-surface' to cater for the walk test led's being switched off for current regs. lets face it, not many keyholders/owners know how to walk test properly, i'd bet only a 10th of those who know how actually do it. even if fully instructed they don't take onboard the value and then forget how. this local indicator panel would simplify that operation at least.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Am I right by saying the IR772 'tamper switch' was just a bit of metal that slotted over the main PCB (sideways) when the detector was closed?

Hi Matt,

yes it was the 'crimp' tamper, they did change it to a micro switch on later models, but dropped it a short while after.

the trouble was back then tampers were not 24 hour, so a false alar, engineer would swap out the pir which had nothing wrong with it, only the tamper needed cleaning. i'd sit there and smile when service guys would say they had a dodgy 772 pir, having had to put it in elswhere as no other spare on the van and it was fine - openning the lid and refitting it cleaned the tamper contact :rolleyes: dough! so if you had one of these f/a the first thing you should do was meter from the panel for h/r before removing the lid.

still got a few 9100's out there working a treat, and still putting 13.6v. to the battery. darn near bullet proof, the 9800 came close, as having 8 zones (early models) but imo did not seem to have the same quality of the PSU section.

lightning strikes could scamble them, but power them off/on would fix it, i have never had one die on me through this though.

regs

alan

I am amazed that these are still available. Why??? Surely nobody actually fits them???

I fitted a few, but that was years ago... Whistle said they were made from 1989, but I think the ones I installed were earlier, around 1983-1985

hi paul,

i think it's because they are so simple, ok for the average garden shed or garage, and electricians will fit them to site huts and small houses.

it's that sort of cheap 'out of the box - onto the wall & connect' simplicity that sells them to the likes of students for there digs, not sophisticated in any way and rings a bell as good as any that is.

regs

alan

Anyone remember the racal zone expanders a cream box with a couple of LED's down with a writable zone description next to each LED's. You would wire this box to one zone on an alarm panel and it can expand the zone s by 5 I think. Oh those where the days

Anyone remember the racal zone expanders a cream box with a couple of LED's down with a writable zone description next to each LED's. You would wire this box to one zone on an alarm panel and it can expand the zone s by 5 I think. Oh those where the days

Map 6 or something similar

Archived