Security Installer Community

Remote Servicing

I don't have a problem with remote servicing. I think it's a great idea. There are a few sites that may have a few issues eg. doors that are very rarely opened. For most site though, it would work very well.

Bells could be tested with a built in mic, strobes could be tested by current draw. Signals could be stored to send when you disconnect or full setting through forced set. Logs can be checked for setting properly and detector walk testing as described above. Pretty much everything you do on a service can be done remotely, except a visual inspection. Most companies have at in their T&C's that any alterations to the buildings fabric/design/use must be notified and as also pointed out above, the change could take place just after you've been for your 6 monthly. Voltages, current batteries and resistance can all be measured by the panel and flagged if any changes. It could be arranged that the panel continuously services itself and notifies you via UDL of any problems.

I'm all for it if it's done right. I still think an annual visit is needed, obviously, for visual inspection and panel calibration, but apart from that there's no real need to go 6 monthly with todays technology IMO.

If you don't know......ask.

hi all,

any manufacturers reading this thread will now have a better idea as to what we would use UDL for, i think it is a massive aid for initial programming ie labeling zones and setting attributes/part sets.

how may times do you get 'the exit tone is too low/high' or 'i thought about it and decided as you recommended to lock the cat in the coal hole, so can you please put the kitchen into part set 1?' or 'i changed the master code just after you left for "security", and then forgot what number i used'? having told them not to do anything but get used to the system for a few days :rolleyes:

UDL has its place, is very useful and like any instrument compliments the human eliment - but imo not replacing it.

i would plead for generic modem drivers in the software following the 'Hayes' protocol or at least will work with internal laptop modems, and a decent baud rate of 14,400 or above. better still perhaps tcp/ip and an RJ45 panel link much better a WiFi/Bluetooth access (password protected of course) so i can use my Windows 5 MDA.

but enough of my wet dreams

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

i would plead for generic modem drivers in the software following the 'Hayes' protocol or at least will work with internal laptop modems, and a decent baud rate of 14,400 or above.

generic modems: YES!

hayes: NO

internal laptop modems: why not?

decent baud rate: YES

better still perhaps tcp/ip and an RJ45 panel link much better a WiFi/Bluetooth access (password protected of course) so i can use my Windows 5 MDA.

many panels has possibility for tcpip - module already. problem is its cost - especially because you can use it only for UDL. manufacturers seem to be a bit lazy to figure out common way of signalling SIA through IP.

much better a WiFi/Bluetooth access (password protected of course) so i can use my Windows 5 MDA. but enough of my wet dreams

just add wireless AP (WPA-protected at least) to ip - module and voil

generic modems: YES!

hayes: NO

internal laptop modems: why not?

decent baud rate: YES

hi georgaht,

hayes was by way of example to express my wish list, but whatever is chosen make them all the same.

most laptops still sport an internal modem as mine has, if i need to assist remotely from anywhere while away from home i would have the ability without being resticted to plugging in (for Gardtec) either a multimodem MDZ PCMCIA or cumbersome sportster modem, i could even use a GSM card in an emergency. mind you, gardtec @ 300 baud would bankrupt me (where do they get those old slow chips from?).

i also dream all mobile phones will one day have a common charger and car adapter - i must stop this daft dreaming stuff, just accept at least bluetooth is fairly standard..

regs

alan

most laptops still sport an internal modem as mine has, if i need to assist remotely from anywhere while away from home i would have the ability without being resticted to plugging in (for Gardtec) either a multimodem MDZ PCMCIA or cumbersome sportster modem, i could even use a GSM card in an emergency. mind you, gardtec @ 300 baud would bankrupt me (where do they get those old slow chips from?).

set up a UDL computer at your office. get a decent firewall that supports SSH and static IP. connect to your UDL computer with VNC via 3G connection from your lappy. should work on DPA too --> no sensitive info on your laptop at all..

i also dream all mobile phones will one day have a common charger and car adapter - i must stop this daft dreaming stuff, just accept at least bluetooth is fairly standard..

i am currently on my sixth nokia (E70 - otherwise perfect but someone forgot a camera for video calls) in a row and still the same charger does fine. btw - VOIP really works on it.

ho georgahta

set up a UDL computer at your office. get a decent firewall that supports SSH and static IP. has problems witconnect to your UDL computer with VNC via 3G connection from your lappy. should work on DPA too --> no sensitive info on your laptop at all..

i got ot say this is way above my knowledge base (or intellegence level), i only just worked out laplink. i think its a great idea, but the effort involved for the occassional UDL from another location other than the office would not warrent it.

i am currently on my sixth nokia (E70 - otherwise perfect but someone forgot a camera for video calls) in a row and still the same charger does fine. btw - VOIP really works on it.

my son has a nakia but i think N70 witch has issues withr bluetooth causing lockups. i've used the Orange SPV M1000 and M2000, both locked up very easily, now using a MIO A 701, locks up a lot less but has probems with internal GPS antenna (V5.021) and TomTom Navigator 5 and no WiFi.

waiting to change over contract from orange, then going to use a free MDA Compact (which has WiFi), on early evidence it seems a good combination of MW5 PDA/Phone with slide out keyboard, time will tell.

regs

alan

waiting to change over contract from orange, then going to use a free MDA Compact (which has WiFi), on early evidence it seems a good combination of MW5 PDA/Phone with slide out keyboard, time will tell.

regs

alan

If this is the same as a O2 XDA mini S then dont bother if you need a PDA get a PDA if you need a phone get a phone dont get the two, unless you recieve less than 5 phone calls a day.

Phones stick to Nokia

PDA stick to HP Ipaqs

Then you cant go wrong

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

my son has a nakia but i think N70 witch has issues withr bluetooth causing lockups. ..

press *#0000# and it will tell you the software version. anything under 2.xxx.... and it needs SW upgrade. should be a warranty 'repair'. don't forget to backup data thou.. :whistle:

im quite lucky since their R&D is only a mile from where i live and plenty of people i know work there --> SW upgrade in 30 minutes.. don't tell anyone else thou.. :lol:

regs

alan

If this is the same as a O2 XDA mini S then dont bother if you need a PDA get a PDA if you need a phone get a phone dont get the two, unless you recieve less than 5 phone calls a day.

Phones stick to Nokia

PDA stick to HP Ipaqs

Then you cant go wrong

Hi Nova, i appreciate you sentiments, i just hate carrying more boxes than i need to. i used to run a Psion 5 PDA, a Nokia Phone, and a digital Camera. net result trousers fell down on too many occasions :P or i left one or more on site.

go to a site meeting and end up fumbling between devices and usually dropping one or more of them :rolleyes: .

regs

alan

my son has a nakia but i think N70 witch has issues withr bluetooth causing lockups. ..

press *#0000# and it will tell you the software version. anything under 2.xxx.... and it needs SW upgrade. should be a warranty 'repair'. don't forget to backup data thou.. :whistle:

hi georgahti,

thanks for that, i think he has been down this route, but i'll tell him anyway

regs

alan

regarding the udl thing over gprs etc, all you need is win 2k3 server or a dedicated win xp pro use rdp and a static ip, and your away, you can then to udl from anywhere in the world. I agree with the ssh point though or vpn. I once saw someone who was using vnc without encrption!!!

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Archived