Security Installer Community

Oldest Panel

Guest chappo

• 2 years later...

I missed all this "chat" by about 3 years.........

Being a bit nostalgic for old kit, I'd thought I'd add my bit.

I started working at Thorn Security in  April 1994, (previously training as an electrician).

My first "panel" there was an old AFA 'G-Type'- a hammered blue metal box with GPO 3000 relays, a meter, lamp, switch, keyswitch and a setting push on the front. This thing could be upgraded to 6 "circuits"- though onl4 4 were used.

Above that was a hammered Blue AFA "drum" bell box, with 5 x R40 flag batteries, and a couple of relays.

Out side was two of the Red equivalents, with yet more flag cells, and each has a plastic resin sealed module inside, where your panel end batteries, bell box batteries and bell would be terminated. Perhaps a very early form on SCB.

All the doors were kick laced, had contacts fitted, windows were batterned/laced.

Apart from the replacement of the circuit batteries, this system didn't give any problems.

The next system I saw, was 1976 equivalent- this thing was the size of a suitcase, had the batteries, bell and a GPO approved lines unit in iside too- and was about 10 circuits.

Other odd AFA ones around (and Thorn literally had 100s of the systems still on the books in our patch)- was a single zone one, a small box with a black knob, keyswitch and lamp.
This was the most common intallation in shops. Usually fitted with shunt locks on the doors.

I still have the circuits for them- not that there's much to them; but none the less, it's how they did things "back then".

My workshop still has a fully functional (though slightly modified) AFA system running, complete with bell boxes.
The system was modified (by myself) to operate as a closed loop- using a Backup battery and PSU.
I'd have to sell my kids, and remortgage the house if I was to keep replacing the Flag Cells.......

Anyone have any pics of any old systems knocking about? I'll get some photos of the AFA panel on my workshop.

When you say "too modern"; does that mean it's less then 40 years old? ;-)

Don't think I've ever come across an A&G.

I'd be intrested to see what the likes of "Rely a Bell" and "Clarion Equipment" were fitting in the 1930s......

I think the science musem in London has a first prototype mechanical Intruder Alarm from the 1800s, as well as a turntable auto dialler.

I missed all this "chat" by about 3 years.........

Being a bit nostalgic for old kit, I'd thought I'd add my bit.

I started working at Thorn Security in  April 1994, (previously training as an electrician).

My first "panel" there was an old AFA 'G-Type'- a hammered blue metal box with GPO 3000 relays, a meter, lamp, switch, keyswitch and a setting push on the front. This thing could be upgraded to 6 "circuits"- though onl4 4 were used.

Above that was a hammered Blue AFA "drum" bell box, with 5 x R40 flag batteries, and a couple of relays.

Out side was two of the Red equivalents, with yet more flag cells, and each has a plastic resin sealed module inside, where your panel end batteries, bell box batteries and bell would be terminated. Perhaps a very early form on SCB.

All the doors were kick laced, had contacts fitted, windows were batterned/laced.

Apart from the replacement of the circuit batteries, this system didn't give any problems.

The next system I saw, was 1976 equivalent- this thing was the size of a suitcase, had the batteries, bell and a GPO approved lines unit in iside too- and was about 10 circuits.

Other odd AFA ones around (and Thorn literally had 100s of the systems still on the books in our patch)- was a single zone one, a small box with a black knob, keyswitch and lamp.

This was the most common intallation in shops. Usually fitted with shunt locks on the doors.

I still have the circuits for them- not that there's much to them; but none the less, it's how they did things "back then".

My workshop still has a fully functional (though slightly modified) AFA system running, complete with bell boxes.

The system was modified (by myself) to operate as a closed loop- using a Backup battery and PSU.

I'd have to sell my kids, and remortgage the house if I was to keep replacing the Flag Cells.......

Anyone have any pics of any old systems knocking about? I'll get some photos of the AFA panel on my workshop.

It'd be fascinating to see photos of your workshop installation, I think the early use of technology in this way is very interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

It'd be fascinating to see photos of your workshop installation, I think the early use of technology in this way is very interesting.

I removed the installation from an old Collector Record shop when it closed down.

The building was earmarked for demolition- I had to remove to autodialler and basically de-commission the system.

The installation was in such good condition; the keyholder had kept it all clean, and the numerous engineers over the years had kept it in good order.

The only snag, was getting hold of the old R40 Flag cells; various Ham Radio sites and parts suppliers have them- but I'd need to sell my house, sell my kids and win the Lottery to afford to replace them.

So- after a subtle mod, it's now powered via a SLA battery / PSU, and is a closed loop (as opposed to having circuit batteries).

It does the job, makes a noise when it goes off, with or without mains power!

Will take my camera later and grab some snaps......