Security Installer Community

How Much Longer Will Redcare Be Around ?

No i dont think so purly because the costs involved in ip. If you want a backup path then it cost more than redcare gsm/dualcom+

Classic Redcare does not have a backup path - so it is double the cost of normal digicom monitoring simply because it has a polling facility.

I can understand the high cost of the dual path units, but not classic redcare.

I do a fair bit with ip and dont think that normal broadband is up to the job of 24 7 signalling, how often is your link down at home.

I market my IP products in the USA and network availability is rarely mentioned as an issue. It's dissapointing to hear that that are regular outages in the UK network.

Also i think that redcare will release an redcare gsm ip product as all the panel manufacturers are bring gsm modules to market we will need an insurace recommended product. This will proabably have the name redcare in it somewhere!

:yes: - got to pay for those golf competions somehow.

Free Alarm Monitoring over the Internet from IP Alarms

Classic Redcare does not have a backup path - so it is double the cost of normal digicom monitoring simply because it has a polling facility.

I can understand the high cost of the dual path units, but not classic redcare.

I market my IP products in the USA and network availability is rarely mentioned as an issue. It's dissapointing to hear that that are regular outages in the UK network.

:yes: - got to pay for those golf competions somehow.

Redcare was well marketed by the insurance so insurace are still requesting old classic redcare but we fit red gsm. If redcare launced an ip product and called it bluecare it wouldnt be accepted by the insurance easily, but redcare IP now theres a product just waiting to roll of the insurance lips!!!

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

well around six times the cost (to the installer), i assume the technology on the exchange costs a bob or two :P

I market my IP products in the USA

which we have no use for when we could get ....... dual signaling ip

which we have no use for when we could get ....... dual signaling ip

hmm - it is made only for UK - market, seems to rely only on VODAFONE network, connection from the site is not directly to the ARC (quick search didn't provide info regarding that but it seems to be so) --> manufacturer dependant QOS.

i would mind to tie my hands with such a product.

besides they claim GPRS to be high speed data.. would you trust your signalling to the company who thinks GPRS is FAST?!?

i assume the technology on the exchange costs a bob or two :P

Which leads me to an interesting point about how crazy the red tape is regarding IP based signalling in the UK. Products like the one in the link get all the approvals under the sun and then the installer plugs it into a router that was made in China and crashes every year of the dog.

The industry cannot agree if the router is part of the alarm system or part of the signalling network. Either way, there is always going to be some kind of infrastructure in between the protected premises and the central station software that is beyond everyones control. The Redcare exchange mentioned above is a perfect example. Do Redcare get regular visits from an NSI inspector to make sure that their network is maintained properly ? - I think not :no:

What about that shower of ****kers - NTL ? - Are they considered a suitable company for routing alarm signals over PSTN ? - Yeah right ! - They can't even answer a customer service call within an hour.

Double standards and backhanders. That's what drives the wheels of the UK security industry.

The poor old customer who just wants a reasonably priced, reasonably secure system to notify them in the event of an alarm is the loser. They are the ones paying for EN50131 - or should I say the bridging documents that may eventually lead to EN50131 ?

:ranting: Oops - does that class as a rant ?

hmm - it is made only for UK -

to be honest we have no need for it anyay, a dualcom+ meets our needs fully.

The Redcare exchange mentioned above is a perfect example. Do Redcare get regular visits from an NSI inspector to make sure that their network is maintained properly ? - I think not :no:

:hmm: heard of the redcare guarantee scheme??? you prepaired to match it??

this is heading towards the standard of the fence man's red care topic :no:

Double standards and backhanders. That's what drives the wheels of the UK security industry.

Well the insurance industry through the form of the ABI, smarty pants :P

The poor old customer who just wants a reasonably priced, reasonably secure system to notify them in the event of an alarm is the loser. They are the ones paying for EN50131 - or should I say the bridging documents that may eventually lead to EN50131 ?

Can your product transmit a an alarm when it is in line fault...................

no?

dustbin.jpg

well thats where I would fit it.

My Redcare bulletins seem to indicate it will be around for quite some time yet - but what say you ?

Coming back to the original questions, and looking at the wider context, it would seem likely that Redcare will be around for a very long while.

Why?

Basically because (if I understand correctly) it uses BT's "last mile" copper wires to signal back to the exchange, in parallel to phone calls and (increasingly) broadband.

How signals then move on from the exchange to the ARC will undoubtedly evolve, but BT is now making most of its profit from renting out that copper for Broadband - it ain't going away! :)

And it's that "last mile" connection that is expensive, so why would it get replaced?

Of course there are alternatives, "better" solutions at a price, dual-path signalling etc. but that bit of wire will be around for many years to come. :yes:

Until, of course, BT come up with a more profitable service that Redcare gets in the way of...........

:hmm: heard of the redcare guarantee scheme??? you prepaired to match it??

No I haven't and no I'm not.

Well the insurance industry through the form of the ABI, smarty pants :P

And don't forget the board of //.National Installer.//.

Can your product transmit a an alarm when it is in line fault...................

Nowhere in this post did I mention that my products are in any way comparable to Redcare. I cater for a completely different type of customer in markets other than the UK. This post is not about my products, it's about classic Redcare - so let's try to keep on topic. Perhaps I should have started another post on red tape - but we can leave that for another day.

And don't forget the board of //.National Installer.//.

Whats the board of //.National Installer.// got to do with it? :unsure:

Perhaps I should have started another post on red tape - but we can leave that for another day.

Lets not go there, the mearest thought of it makes my blood boil. :fear:

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Archived