Security Installer Community

Public Panels

Public Panels  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Should we relax our views on the information we give out on publically purchasable alarm control panels.

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care either way.

ok tell me how richl?, i've not seen a manual that works by prox - yet , but then i don't use galaxei's.

so soz mate, you gotta exsplain that statement.

regs

alan

Now I'm being pedantic, but Galaxy is with a 'y' and rjbsec is Roger, not Jef! (Sorry. but it's annoying!)

Anyway, for an answer to the above, read my last post.

If you don't know......ask.

Guest RICHL
ok tell me how richl?, i've not seen a manual that works by prox - yet , but then i don't use galaxei's.

so soz mate, you gotta exsplain that statement.

regs

alan

PM sent!

If it isn't broken, don't fix it!

I think we have got the balance correct on the site and I wouldn't like to see it changed.

hi alarm Guard,

i don't mean or intend to argue with the right of anyones heart felt opinion on this, but i'd like to know what facts it is based on.

personally i can see no danger, reasons given in previous post's, i've not yet seen anyone give a real damming reason to withhold engineer manuals on this site?

regs

alan

Now I'm being pedantic, but Galaxy is with a 'y' and rjbsec is Roger, not Jef! (Sorry. but it's annoying!)

Anyway, for an answer to the above, read my last post.

like i said i don't use 'em, and rjbsec don't like me much anyway :P and anyway don't change the subject - have enough trouble from the guy who say's he's regulated or is that his regular?

but now corected that post 'cause i'm respectful i am

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

My way of thinking is....

A decent commercial monitored system should be very hard or even impossible to defeat, even with a good deal of knowledge. Some monitored commercials can be defeated quite easily with a medium amount of knowledge.

Most bells only house alarms can be defeated fairly quickly with a little bit of knowledge. Fair enough they may ring, but if you are able to default and unset it within a minute or so, a lot of people will ignore it.

QFA!!

If a clever crook has access to manuals, they may be able to work out how and which systems could be defeated. Supplying some info does not carry the same risk IMO. For example, the recent post about adding a RKP to a galaxy.....I see no real security risk in answering this guys question, however I don't think we should give him the manual.

Clever crook would buy that system with manuals and have some practise.. So no need to worry about manuals.

QFA!!

Clever crook would buy that system with manuals and have some practise.. So no need to worry about manuals.

and don't forget he would also do a full size mock up of the site, complete with all the detectors and the actual program lifted from the panel which he magic'd our because he had the manual - damm thats where it all falls apart again :cry:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Which is why we have such contempt for manufacturers that sell to the public!

Which is why we have such contempt for manufacturers that sell to the public!

i thought it was due to our margin's but that sounds much better thou!!

why not to support only DIY panels and manuals then? clear list of equipment we are allowed to "help tampering with"..

:question:

i thought it was due to our margin's but that sounds much better thou!!

why not to support only DIY panels and manuals then? clear list of equipment we are allowed to "help tampering with"..

:question:

Well that's kinda what Dave's suggesting, without the manuals though.

When you look at it realistically, it would be nigh on impossible for any potential intruder to access a reasonably well installed system of any grade would'nt it, even with manuals, tools and some knowledge of the system? Assuming the intruder doesn't know the engineer code he may aswell just use the manual to wipe his //.B.W.F.// with unless he can tamper the end station, because it's useless otherwise! All this is before he has gained access to the premises and discovered the location of the panel which should be reasonably concealed.

Even if he manages to default the system, when the customer goes to set it and his code does'nt work, would'nt he phone an engineer? We'd all like to think so... Burglars are more likely to resort to tried and tested methods or circumventing detection, which I'm sure you've all seen before. I think we're giving them more credit than they deserve here IMO.

That said, I still don't think the manual should even come with the panel for proffesional gear and I do try to limit the info I give out in the public forums.

Trade Member

Archived