Security Installer Community

Cctv Cameras + Spiders

Hi folks

this is an unusual problem i thought i check out with you more experienced cctv lads.

We have a camera that is used for reading car number plates that has a big array of LED's adjacent to lens for night vision.

Unfornately spiders seems to like the camera housing and are making nice webs across front and these webs are getting hot at night time and camera is focusing onto this heat source and not focusing onto car number plates.

Can you advise of any chemical or spray we can use to deter the spiders?

thanks

paul

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

Any of the pyrethrin chemicals will provide protection.

Believe it or not it's made from chrysanthemum flowers, several solid block fly killers (look like air fresheners but solid yellow block inside them) contain it.

cut a small strip of it and tie wrap it to the camera body, that should keep the insects at bay.

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

A bit of vaseline keeps them off. Always carry it in my toolbox ;):whistle:

oh yes........................................ :whistle:

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

This has come up on here before and someone recomended wd40, havent tried it myself.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Guest rjbsec
This has come up on here before and someone recomended wd40, havent tried it myself.

Works a treat, spider steps onto the camera housing, slips on the WD40 and down he goes twisting around on a strand of web - too confused to try it again.

• 2 months later...

hi all,

i know this thread is a bit old, but i bet i'm not the only one been plagued recently by spider intruders on the led ir camera's at night in this hoty and long summer.

i looked at insectorcides, but most require re-applying after a few weeks, and i have had suggestions to apply vassaline to the rim of the glass as it acts like a fly trap. anyone tried anti-climb paint, i know it seems funny but i'm serious

i see mtr happy remark about jeys fluid will this need to be re- applied or is it effective over a normal summer?

whats the best way of overcomming this problem, i got one client using a kids high power water pistol to blast the beggers out from the ground, might suggest he mixes some jeys in the resovior.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived