Security Installer Community

Insulted

superpiper

Fair play to you if you are capable of such a past time achievment.

Let me ask, what do you think of people who build kit cars in their home garages in their spare time, instead of paying a competant & professional garage to build it for them?

How about people who do a little bit of gardening or landscaping... there's professionals who charge for that too!

Or perhaps any form of DIY for that.

For a start, kit cars would be subject to a roadworthiness check along with other checks before it's even allowed onto the road! Your DIY system is not. Please stop trying to compare Intruder Alarms to Car Alarms too, they are different beasts.

I'm not going to offer my opinion on the rest of the subject because it's been done to death with no real benefit, but I would be curious to see some pictures of these installs when you have finished then we can bow to your superiority. You can put them up in the gallery :)

Trade Member

As i have said i`m new here but,

Such a shame that some people on here come across in such a defensive & sarcastic manner..

As I read it they reacted to comments made. Some practical advise was given and replies would seem to quantify the above quote.

Perfect solution has been mentioned, post a pic of the install. How about letting us know if you added a speech dialer or text delivery system.

Please stop trying to compare Intruder Alarms to Car Alarms too, they are different beasts.

I'm only making comparisons in terms of DIY install vs Pro installs... But, if you want to get picky it could be argued that there isn't much real difference aside from longer cable runs & 240v, and the obvious fact that intruder alarms are fitted to buildings.

Yes they are physically different, as is the amount of work involved in the installation, but most of the options available for an intruder alarms are also available for car alarms;

GSM paging/calling

Battery backup (on both the siren & the unit itself)

Smoke defence

Sound barriers

Code via keypad

Outputs for control via relays

Various sensors, including doors, glass break, shock, sonics, prox etc..

Expandable fobs to operate multiple cars/garage doors etc..

Prox readers

GSM call in feature, to remotely operate the alarm functions

Police tracking

Programmed using a laptop.

I'm not trying to belittle any of the professional installers on here, or claim that I can do the job better.. I just feel that I can do a more careful & uncompromised install, given the fact that I have no time limits. I doubt any of you guys rush an install, or cut corners, as the fact you take time to visit this site proves to me that you have pride & passion about your jobs.

Forgot to add:

I haven't finished the install, I have only run some of the wires, and must wait for the rest of the alarm to arrive.

I have no intention of adding a dialer to the system just yet, but will run a phone line to the panel for future upgrade option.

When the parts arrive & the install starts to take form, I will take photos & post them on here for you all to giggle at.

We took over a place who fitted car alarms due to they needed Redcare, the system they installed went in the bin, we had to recable it due to their lack of knowledge on the basics of BS4737.

Each to their own, and a car alarm only has to be installed to Thatcham rules, where as a intruder alarm has to be installed to many, if the Police started monitoring the false alarm rate on car alarms well that would be an eye opener, no more car alarms and the amount of fitters out of work over night would be high.

They are two different system for two different applications, you cant even start to compare them.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

• 5 weeks later...
Do the 'ahem' pro's get insulted when Joe public tries to save money and install his/her own system?

it looks like you enjoy winding people up joe. you will no doubt have 20 minutes of fun every night winding up your neighbours when your "proffesional" system starts acting as annoying as its installer.

maybe you can "ahem" design some ear plugs for them.

you can also save some money by posting in this site on a public library computer. im sure the bbc micro comes with a manual, but hey, you can work it out.

I'm still waiting for those pictures of the installs that will put us all to shame. Will they be as good as this one?
He hasn't stated his install would be as good as anyones, I get the impression he will post them expecting to be ridiculed by us regardless. I only hope that whatever his install work is like we tell it like it is.??
When the parts arrive & the install starts to take form, I will take photos & post them on here for you all to giggle at.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

I'm still waiting for those pictures of the installs that will put us all to shame. Will they be as good as this one?

post-1903-1154296216_thumb.jpg

:roflmao:

that quite a neat one really,a quick twist the pairs..... I do like to see the classic earth chopped back because it's a plaggy box & if i was a gambling man I'd have fiver on the conductors being folded over on the 7 / 0.2 's

Archived