Security Installer Community

Insulted

superpiper

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The subject of insurers and alarms being considered in insurance policies was discussed some time ago on this forem when a member discovered that his insurance policy used the presence of an alarm and the inherent discount given on the policy to write several means for any claim to be refused--I myself checked with my insurer when the renewal notice came through the post and found the same applied to the small print in my policy I therefore had the policy ammended and had the fact that I had an alarm/5 lever locks and window locks removed from the details and so removed 50% of any excusses for theft claims to be denide payment and it only cost me an extra

I write a program for a user, create the help file and show them how to login to the system and change the codes etc., "which is what they paid for"

funny what ever software we use comes with a licence??

Its a no win argument! BUT from a commmercial aspect (commerical installs) NOWAY in hell should manuals be given out.

the same control are used banghead

I've just had an intersting talk with my Loss adjuster friend last week and basically from their point of view, if a professional or a diy'er installs the alarm it makes no difference whatso ever to them or to your insurance quote!

see lots of houses where no alarm = no cover

Guest Jeffw

funny what ever software we use comes with a licence??

Well all software does, your not buying to own the software your buying to use it or license it on xx computers or networks you have paid for! I add EULA on most of mine, NOW if a customer wants to OWN the software outright (i.e the compiled code and the source code after completion) thats instantly 50k without working out more development costs! So do you mean when you buy above you have a licence, then yes as your paying to use it - not own it.

the same control are used

I'm sorry I don't understand the above, what do you mean?

see lots of houses where no alarm = no cover

Not really, I know of a good few people who have insuracne and no alarm.

Regards

Jeff

didn't have energy to read anything else but the original question..

hey, this ain't rocket science. ofcourse anyone can do your job as well. i can maintain and service my car, i can plaster, i can do accounting, i can do electrical and electronics engineering, i can fly, i can build a robot, i can paint, i can do all the trades. question is do i know all the trades as well as the professional would do??

every trade has its own tricks to do it properly and when it comes to security it is not only the question if you are able to but if you are allowed to do. for yourself you can do surgery if you want to, but i propably wouldn't like to be your patient anyway.

so ofcourse you can do your own alarm system and it doesn't bother me if and when joe public does so until he claims it is better than if i had done it.

it is like a claim that anyone could do better than becks if he had a bad day.

or make more goals than ronaldo if other team remains the same... :whistle:

for the record,

I am a professional design engineer,

Involved in the design/checking and approval of stress sensitive engineering systems being fit for purpose.

I've spent 8 years in 3rd level education and regularly attend weekly training courses to stay in touch with my profesion.

I have been training to do this job for the last 10 years and spent 4 years as a boy in an apprentiship.

I have a direct responcibility for the safety and well-being of personel using the equipment i and others design.

I am a professional alarm engineer,

But taking your point i could have ago at what you do, a steel RSJ will do or that pipe will hold that pressure.

Each to their own and when you say " you want to install a professional system" if you install it, it wont be.

There again most of the post above have covered this.

Of now to do something i have read a book on.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

your not buying to own the software your buying to use it or license it on xx computers or networks you have paid for! I add EULA on most of mine,

So is fine to say restrict a 3rd party from using software over a network, but to restrict them from say a adding an expander to the burglar alarm controls is wrong?

I'd call that a double standard.

the same control are used

I'm sorry I don't understand the above, what do you mean?

okay we fit an alarm in factory they ask for an engineering manual the answer is sling ya hook,

we fit a system in the directors house he asks for an engineering manual the answer is yes boss

same controls with less zones but the same book again double standard

What if....................

One of you guys install an alarm in my house.

I ask for the Eng.Codes and Inst manual,

You refuse.

I object, but let the mater drop.

12 months later, i am unhappy with your service (maybe poor reaction to an alarm)

Question:

1 How much do you charge to give the Eng code to another Company?

2 How much do you charge to hand over the codes to my service company if i have just bought the house with the alarm already installed?

3. What would be your responce if i refused to pay for an alarm installation without the Eng code??

4. Would you install an alarm if i insisted you use my own Eng code?

Just thinking aloud.........................................

we fit a system in the directors house he asks for an engineering manual the answer is yes boss

Is this a TYPO ?

Our answer is NO

We have learnt and paid for training course's on what we do, open to inspection from the NSI so why should it be free, I have now booked on for fire training which the total is about

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

Question:

1 How much do you charge to give the Eng code to another Company?

2 How much do you charge to hand over the codes to my service company if i have just bought the house with the alarm already installed?

3. What would be your responce if i refused to pay for an alarm installation without the Eng code??

4. Would you install an alarm if i insisted you use my own Eng code?

Just thinking aloud.........................................

1. Reputable companies NEVER give out their codes to anyone

2. See above, your new company would have to crash and reprogram the system

3. See you in court

4. Not a chance

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Archived