Security Installer Community

Insulted

superpiper

Personally I think I'm a bit of both 1 and 2.

Looking at this and other similar threads I find it very disappointing the number of "professionals" who jump to the conclusion of 3 with little or no evidence and then respond with arrogance and vitriol. :angry2:

We know who you are (and you ought to know who you are) and you do yourself no favours.

On the other hand the majority are extremely helpful and communicative. :)

PS I'm sure there are other options, e.g. 4. Just don't know and are trying to understand.

I find it amazing that we try to be helpful and friendly here, but when diy'ers asked the same silly questions over and over again and they get the answer and don't like the responce they start telling as Pros how it should be done, you can see why some engineers take a zero toliarance attidute.

I just normally read the threads, but you are really trying to get a reaction and with the last few messages your nearly there :no:

I belive that customers which are contracted and want the Approved Installer to maintain there system, They will never ask for that manual because they want it done right.

Trade Member

at 7.30 pm :whistle:

the fact that your drinking sherry is bad enough ;)

Started on it about 5:30 whilst sat outside with the laptop.

Just a small glass before tea that got out of hand, :unsure: you know how it is, topping up the glass a little at a time (but often), suddenly half a bottle gone :fear:

Anyway, it's in the bin now empty. :(

In case anybody is interested, THIS is my favourite, Argueso Pedro Ximinez Sherry. Mmmmm Like liquid Christmas pudding. :)

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Guest ALSEC

What is the problem - if you want to know the engineer code for your alarm then fit the damn thing yourself - easy solution.

Just be prepared for the call out cost at 3 in the morning when you can't stop the bell ringing...

I find it amazing that we try to be helpful and friendly here, but when diy'ers asked the same silly questions over and over again and they get the answer and don't like the responce they start telling as Pros how it should be done, you can see why some engineers take a zero toliarance attidute.

I just normally read the threads, but you are really trying to get a reaction and with the last few messages your nearly there :no:

I belive that customers which are contracted and want the Approved Installer to maintain there system, They will never ask for that manual because they want it done right.

Er, excuse me, I think you're having a go at the wrong person there - maybe you misread something. I believe that was my one and only post in that thread and it was polite and constructive.

Would you care to edit/withdraw your post?

Thank you.

After spending the last 4 nights:

*screeming at those tiny Fecking magnetic contacts

*trying to wire those tiny Fecking magnetic contacts

*Chasing wire which have been incorrectly run by the electritian,

*Constantly telling my 2year old daughter to not play with the stanley knife

*stood on a stool with my arm twisted wiring contacts

*cutting the wrong side of the detector covers

I am in awe of you guys who do this in Half a day, properly, and with no fuss.

The topic seems to have become a bit bad tempered, I was only wondering what if...

Please don't take it seriously or take offence.

I am deeply gratefull for all the advice i have had from you guys.

Thanks

Ps. in response to which type am i, i assume you are insinuating that i am type 3.

No need for that mate, i am just tying to afford a decent alarm system.

The last quote was €1200 fitted. I paid €450 for the equipment and am doing it myself.

Obviously open free discusion is not applauded here.

After spending the last 4 nights:

*screeming at those tiny Fecking magnetic contacts

*trying to wire those tiny Fecking magnetic contacts

*Chasing wire which have been incorrectly run by the electritian,

*Constantly telling my 2year old daughter to not play with the stanley knife

*stood on a stool with my arm twisted wiring contacts

*cutting the wrong side of the detector covers

I am in awe of you guys who do this in Half a day, properly, and with no fuss.

The topic seems to have become a bit bad tempered, I was only wondering what if...

Please don't take it seriously or take offence.

I am deeply gratefull for all the advice i have had from you guys.

Thanks

Ps. in response to which type am i, i assume you are insinuating that i am type 3.

No need for that mate, i am just tying to afford a decent alarm system.

The last quote was

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

Do the 'ahem' pro's get insulted when Joe public tries to save money and install his/her own system?

I'm in the process of installing a professional system myself.

I am finding it very intresting and satisfying.

However, Most of the principles are not to difficult to understand once you have a bit of literiture or good advice. I dont think i could do it as good as you guys, but it will be better than a cowboy installation.

For me, professionalls are there for when i can't or don't want to do the work myself.

Take plastering, i'm useless at it and call a tradesman everytime. However, i can and do service my car.

You guys seem to me to be irritated by us DIY'ers

Just a thought.

hi superpipe,

i assume from your tag you are a plummer (or simply smoke like a train :rolleyes: ).

i deal with this question many many times, usually on sales meetings with the clients.

i usually say concider this -: you have the same number of fingers and thumbs as me, and reading books will put you on the right track. when you employ a true professional in any trade you are paying for what he/she knows how to do not actually what they do.

you can service your own car, but not to the degree a main agents mechanic can who is equiped with knowledge and the tools for the job, and who is aware of most (if not all) anomolies with that make and model.

in security systems we have a choice of hundreds of makers, and thousands of detectors and control units, so we are more able to advise on the right equipment for you along, with the correct placement of it for maximum effect.

please remember although your system may work fine from day one, and continue to do so for many years, and i truly hope it will, but in time if you get intermittent problems like false alarms, especially when you are on holiday, then where will you turn?.

alarms are based heavily on confidence, a faulty system like an oversensative car alarm soon loses 80% of its effectivness, as it will be disregarded by you neighbours - your valuable first line of response, then your keyholders will also get fed up.

you pays your money - or not and take the risks

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived