Security Installer Community

Mains Interference

steve-r

I am about to install a Premier 48 in a 4 bed house plus detached garage.

I intend to run the cable to the garage pir/door switch in the same conduit as the mains from the garage (yes I did say from!) because its the simplest route.

Normally when you arm the garage I wouldn't worry about any change in mains to the garage as it would be empty. But in this house the mains supply to the whole house goes first to the garage and then onto the house.

so..

If you left the house armed with say washine machines on etc the mains in the garage conduit would have changing current and may trigger a false alarm. (Alarm controller will be in the house).

My question is - Is the mains likely to cause false alarms?

My alternative to the premier 48 would be a wild swap to the powermax plus system - much quicker to install - and likely to open another debate on wireless. But having trawled through these useful pages I can't see anywhere and real reasoned evidence against this particular system?!

cheers

You don't need anything to be switched on to cause inteference from mains wiring.

If you can't get another conduit to the garage (best option) then you can get a wireless zone unit, the names of any escape me atm.

I know it's "only" domestic, but it really isn't very good practise to run 230v AC in the same tube as 12v dc.

Apart from being against regs, you are bound to cause induction on the 12volt circuit which may manifest as false alarms or possibly cause permanent damage to the control equipment.

I know it's "only" domestic, but it really isn't very good practise to run 230v AC in the same tube as 12v dc.

Apart from being against regs, you are bound to cause induction on the 12volt circuit which may manifest as false alarms or possibly cause permanent damage to the control equipment.

Yea think youv'e hit the nail on the head esp it is against regs regardless of the likelihood of the interference! its a no -no from me and if you do it on your head be it Roy(Hows the horse ?)

... it is against regs ...

is it due to the reason that cable is not rated for 240VAC or because systems run on different voltage?

Stand alone PSU, Dual Tech and door contact...

:yes:

...back via a wireless radio link.

:no:

Stand alone PSU, Dual Tech and door contact back via a wireless radio link.

This sounds like the way to go. But I thought most would be anti the wireless bit?

To meet regs, wired would mean new conduit....major work. Maybe when I have more time.

Stand alone PSU, Dual Tech and door contact back via a wireless radio link.

+1

There's nothing wrong with wireless provided you use decent kit. My shed is on a Scantronic wireless link to the main panel cos it would have been a pain to get a cable to it, and it's worked a treat. Wireless is fine in the right sceanario.

Trade Member

Get a radioplus receiver and some radio pirs/contacts from Texecom.

How far is the garage from the control panel?

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Archived