Security Installer Community

What Can I Do????????

jshsecurity

Keep reading alan.....

Whoops back to where we started :whistle:

yo Mr Happy,

i was remarking on the way the opinion was expressed (not its total accuracy for a change :rolleyes: ) and it was in relation to a private house not a place of work as a case previously stated, along with the interpretation as he see's it.

so can you please answer me this mate? if working in a private house part 'p' applies ok, but what of the those other regs :hmm: surely they only apply when working in a place of work such as an office or factory and so on?

i'm not including building sites or farms as they are well covered by regs.

crikey nearly started to argue then - am i getting the feeling back? :P

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

yo Mr Happy,

i was remarking on the way the opinion was expressed (not its total accuracy for a change :rolleyes: ) and it was in relation to a private house not a place of work as a case previously stated, along with the interpretation as he see's it.

so can you please answer me this mate? if working in a private house part 'p' applies ok, but what of the those other regs :hmm: surely they only apply when working in a place of work such as an office or factory and so on?

i'm not including building sites or farms as they are well covered by regs.

!!!The same reg's apply + extra items defined in their relevant section!!!

crikey nearly started to argue then - am i getting the feeling back? :P

regs

alan

Yo Lurchy Baby ;)

Electricity at work Regulations 1989, Health & Safety at Work Act 1974

Refer to "electrical competence" / BS 7671 the only way to prove it is through qualifications / documentation of the job (certs, readings, spec drawings)

As said by others....

The regulations are non-statutory but can be used in a court of law injury / kill someone or livestock or damage property ect... if you can not produce the correct paper work to prove your work was install & tested properly you may find your self held responsible for someone else

I have been thinking about including a paragraph about this subject in our quotes, contracts, Etc... along the lines of:

Any connection we make to the existing electrical installation is done on the undertsanding that the electrical installation in the premises has been installed, maintained and periodically tested to the relevant regulations. If this is not the case, a full electrical test should be carried out without delay by a competant electrician and a certificate obtained. We cannot be held responsible for any failure or malfunction of the electrical installation if it is discovered that any circuit to which we have connected has been installed or maintained incorrectly.

Does anyone else include such a clause? Or do you now think you will? and should the wording be different?

Paul

The law does not allow you to pass liabillity to the owner.

We cannot be held responsible for any failure or malfunction of the electrical installation if it is discovered that any circuit to which we have connected has been installed or maintained incorrectly.

It is the person doing the work to ensure that the existing installation is up to scratch and safe for the purpose that it is designed for. If you connect to an installation that is not safe or correctly installed YOU ARE LIABLE.

It all comes down to competence, yes many will have done the half days course to prove that they are competent to install a spur, but in reality are you competent to check the existing installation for compliance - in most cases NO.

imo takeovers of alarms can be enough of a pia, by the time you look for all the 'sins' and put them right, it's often quicker to reinstall.

electrical works must be a bigger nightmare, not such an easy option to replace, and you can't see all the wiring.

the point is taken that if you are not certificated as competant, then you could be in sticky brown stuff if something goes wrong. even you own work is fine, as i understand it you are responsible for everything running off that fuse/mcb at the main board.

if cables are run under floorboards and which in turn are carpeted over, how can you check if any poorly sited juction boxes are liable to lay in flood water, which often occurs in foundations? rewireable fuses are disappearing but are still in situe in thousands of buildings, it's a real possible liability problem, not one i'm keen on to get involved.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Has everyone on here got their ECS card done and dusted?

Yup, All done and sorted. Have gold card will travel :)

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Yup, All done and sorted. Have gold card will travel :)
I had to keep your card in my car till I brought it down from Leeds, just left it on the dash with the alarm off!

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

I had to keep your card in my car till I brought it down from Leeds, just left it on the dash with the alarm off!

I've not seen it yet, got to pick it up tomorrow.

At least it has had some purpose :whistle:

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Archived