Security Installer Community

Door Contact On Shop Alarm

Guest Guest_Steve_*

Guest Guest_Steve_*

I work at a shop with a metal front door. The contact on the front door seems to be getting a bit slow at reacting when the door is opened. Said contact activates a "doorbell" so we know when a customer comes in, and sometimes it doesn't beep straight away. I flick the contact and it beeps!!!! Could this get worse? I dont want UK Monitoring involved lol! They dont like me, i particularly dont like them!!!! :realmad:

With it being a entry/exit zone, im worried about the alarm sounding when i unlock the shop in a morning. I believe the panel is a galaxy, with remote keyfobs. The contact is a metal one, with a flexible metal pipe carrying its wire up to the ceiling.

Alarm call outs really pee me off. we once had 3 in one night because of a faulty "safe limpet" (3 different people attended). In the end, the engineer on call told me over the phone how to omit that zone when setting the alarm (pres fob, press no, enter zone number, yes, yes) which i committed to memory for future callouts!

Most of our stores have the //.National Installer.// systems with codes, this one seems more fiddly and ameteurish! Opinions?

Should i ask for the door contact to be replaced? The system's 3 years old.

I work at a shop with a metal front door. The contact on the front door seems to be getting a bit slow at reacting when the door is opened. Said contact activates a "doorbell" so we know when a customer comes in, and sometimes it doesn't beep straight away. I flick the contact and it beeps!!!! Could this get worse? I dont want UK Monitoring involved lol! They dont like me, i particularly dont like them!!!! :realmad:

yes, it seems you have a 'sticky' reed, usually caused be either water ingress or damaged glass envelope of the reed.

as you say you flick it and it bleeps the chime, so easy enough to confirm rectification of fault before engineer leaves.

regs

arfur_mo

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Ask for the door contact replaced, sounds like lose connections, faulty reed but it could be chargable.

I think Galaxy have a good name but i feel the product is now dated and pasted its use before date.

Edit - due to read post again

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

Most of our stores have the //.National Installer.// systems with codes, this one seems more fiddly and ameteurish! Opinions?

IMO you should ask //.National Installer.// to take over this shop. They will fix the problem im sure.

Jef

Customers!

Ask for the door contact replaced, sounds like lose connections, faulty reed but it could be chargable.

I think Galaxy have a good name but i feel the product is now dated and pasted its use before date.

Edit - due to read post again

Eh? why the comments about the control panel, Galaxy past it???? :no:

PG Security Systems

Somerset

SSAIB Certificate of Merit Installers.

www.pgsecurity.co.uk

I dont want UK Monitoring involved lol! They dont like me, i particularly dont like them!!!! :realmad:

Alarm call outs really pee me off. we once had 3 in one night because of a faulty "safe limpet" (3 different people attended)

Would it not be a good idea to get on the back of the installation company?

Reading between the lines are the arc resetting the system for you, with out you involving the alarm company, hence same old problems every time?

Guest Guest

perhaps i should elaborate . . .

Our alarm is serviced and maintained by a company called Sunwin Security (i believe they install them too, at least for the recent shop take-overs). The shops with the old //.National Installer.// alarms also have the same service contracts with Sunwin - //.National Installer.// no longer have a contract. All the alarms are monitored by UK Monitoring, who contact the 2 shop keyholders, then our company head office, who then try the keyholders again! UK Mon never reset the alarms. They always ask us to go out. The 3 people who attended that night were our shop's 3 keyholders - all of whom thought they were the only ones attending that night (until the morning when 3 droopy-eyed workers turned up for work at 7am). I was the third person to attend, and the only one with the brains to phone sunwin and get instruction on how to omit that zone before setting (at 3am), then have them come out in the morning and fix it!

Sunwin did attend the next day, and did a permenant omit on the limpet, but they have yet to fetch us a new one. Better off without anyway, none of the other shops have one! :realmad:

If we ever find anything wrong with the alarm, it is the shop staff's responsibility to inform sunwin.

My other half called out ? to her place of work due to a sticky reed. The engineer tapped the reed with a driver and said that will be fine now, my girlfriend even said you should replace that, to with she got a pissy responce. suprise suprise a week later no entry time and a faulty contact. Get the horse!!!! :realmad:

SSAIB Approved.

If it ain't broke, you ain't trying hard enough

My other half called out ? to her place of work due to a sticky reed. The engineer tapped the reed with a driver and said that will be fine now, my girlfriend even said you should replace that, to with she got a pissy responce. suprise suprise a week later no entry time and a faulty contact. Get the horse!!!! :realmad:

hi vandamme,

your girl displayed an excellent example of common sense, something that is seen as so valuable in most companies. be prepared to loose her to any firm in your area wanting a capable alarm service engineer, and bright enough to spot her tallent.

this is not a flippant or 'clever' remark, lets face it you can teach a skill to almost anyone, but not common sense as its a brain thing, something this so called 'service engineer' was born without.

regs

arfur_mo

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest Guest_steve_*

me again, i was wrong earlier. the //.National Installer.// alarm panels i was referring to are the galaxy type with the side swinging door on them. The alarm in my shop is a Chubb Sentinel as pictured here on the right: http://www.chubb.co.uk/pdfs/Sentinel%208.pdf It seems fiddly to use etc, but as we only ever use the keyfob to set and unset, it doesn't bother us!

OOI, how do these keyfobs work? do they transmit a code? or just a command to unset? I just read on that PDF that they are Infra red - so how come it works through the door when the panel is right next to the door? and where exactly is the reciever? <confused!!!> I have a fob here and it has a little dim red light when the button is pressed. I hold it right on the panel when pressing it, sometimes it takes ages to stop it, sometimes it does it right away!

What do i do if the fob ever doesn't work? :!: panic??

Archived