Security Installer Community

Greedy Con Merchants

Guest rjbsec
Im off now with all me conned money to enjoy me spoils :plane:

Jef

1) Microsoft is a licensed product an alarm system is not.

2) It doesn't need upgrading it just needs using to the full.

3) As a non-maintained audible-only it doesn't have to comply with PD6662 or DD243 and false alarms are his responsibility.

4) Whether or not he is capable is not proven but is also irrelevant, there are no requirements for him to be capable it's his alarm in his property (well his daughter's actually but presumably he has her permission).

5) The con is in being forced to go back to the original installer.

6) It has nothing to do with a repair out of warranty - it is simply being prevented from doing legitimate extending of his system by the installer arbitrarily setting up the system so that he can't for no other reason than trying to tie him into the installer.

7) Working with gas or other peoples teeth requires a "licence" by law and I can change my gas installer or dentist at will - or yes I can actually pull my own teeth!

As ive mentioned in an earlier post, its not something i do but then again i dont install many alarms (maybe 1 or 2 a year) but i think its justifyable for many reasons.

1) No my systems are not DIY as I am sure you know, but if my maintenance contract with them expires, what they do with the system is, rightly, up to them.

2) He is prepared to do the work at his own expense, this may not be wise, (in fact I would discourage him from doing so), however he should be able to do so if he wishes and no I do not believe that engineer manuals should be passed to customers by the installer, (though its generally irrelevant as many manufacturers freely supply them on request, or they are obtainable from eBay!), neither do I give out my engineer codes but that has nothing to do with the owners right to default his panel and programme it if he can and feels capable.

3) A customer not having a maintenance on an audible-only and adding to the system does not automatically = false alarms and even if it does it does not affect his right to do what he wants to with his owned not contracted alarm system.

If his alarm creates fales activations after his modifications that is his responsibility, my reputation does not depend upon a few bellboxes that I no longer maintain - your argument suggests that you believe everyone who doesn't have a current maintenance contract should have their alarm disabled!

4) The PC argument is certainly appropriate - all the guy wants to do is add to his system, which it is designed to permit, same as adding to a PC, whereas the family saloon is not designed as a sports car.

5) Whether the customer rang the installer or not is again irrelevant its his system, not maintained and he shouldn't feel compelled to use the same installer - that's how he feels now as his post indicates.

6) The customer may not "mess up" adding detectors - it's not brain surgery! and even if he does it is not going to mess up my reputation, believing that would be a sign of paranoia.

7) The only thing its trying to protect is income and to suggest anything different, (unless its under a contractural agreement), is just not going to wash!

Guest rjbsec
All this bickering and squabling is helping Who?

a. the original poster :no:

b. the trade :no:

c. anyone else :no:

:hmm:

Bickering??????

It's a matter of principle, the original poster has a justifiable beef.

The posts says the installer is a greedy conman yet again there has been no other post to give us further information i stand by the fact this could just be a panel that is designed to lock systems out if the eng codes starts with a seperate number this no way makes the installer greedy or a con man i doubt anybody would change the eng code on a panel if this was the case. most installers will maintain the system after install so the eng code would have been put in while under contract and again there is no mention to age of the system or if it was maintained.

i for one will reset eng codes at customers request but will also inform the customer that upon doing so they will not have cover on there maint contract.

Mark Smith, Director, S M Fire & Security Ltd, Bradford

Guest rjbsec
The posts says the installer is a greedy conman yet again there has been no other post to give us further information i stand by the fact this could just be a panel that is designed to lock systems out if the eng codes starts with a seperate number this no way makes the installer greedy or a con man

Agree - the thread title is unfair in the absence of further detail, however it gives us a good indication of how this activity is viewed by the customer - who is our lifeblood.

i doubt anybody would change the eng code on a panel if this was the case. most installers will maintain the system after install so the eng code would have been put in while under contract and again there is no mention to age of the system or if it was maintained.

i for one will reset eng codes at customers request but will also inform the customer that upon doing so they will not have cover on there maint contract.

Agree again - my contract = my terms, take away the terms and I take away the contract.

Bickering??????

It's a matter of principle, the original poster has a justifiable beef.

Where is the original poster now!! one post light the touch paper and stand well back. :rolleyes:

Nope. The guy who started this thread never was anyones customer. His daughter was. ... and I cannot see him ever being the lifeblood of any alarm Co.

Well, I'd be pretty homeless without customers tbh, which would most likely lead to my early death so I would say customers are my lifeblood. :)

Guest rjbsec
Well, I'd be pretty homeless without customers tbh, which would most likely lead to my early death so I would say customers are my lifeblood. :)

Absolutely and he will surely be adding to the income of some alarm installer who hopefully treats him better that the original one - it's all about relationships really.

who hopefully treats him better that the original one -

We still haven't found out what the installer has said so he may come along, offer up his first born, a luxury yatch and 10k in used notes which would be a hard package to match when you add in the unlocking of an engineer code too.

Yes, I know it's unlikely but we don't have an facts so we don't know do we.

Archived