Security Installer Community

Quad PIR's

andyhodson

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1: The Passive Infra-Red sensor. Well when used correctly these detectors are in invaluable asset to any alarm system, they detect movement of heat, by looking at the room in Infra-red. The detector lens splits the room up into 20+ areas and basically any movement of heat between these areas will cause an activation of the alarm system. Their are several variants of this detector and the most common are listed below.

2: The QUAD, is basically two Standard PIR detectors working together in one unit. The effect is much better reliability as both the detectors need to trigger at the same time which creates a higher resistance to false alarms. Most reputable companies fit these detectors as standard.

3: The Dual-Tech, this is two different technology detectors built into the same unit. You get the benefits of a standard PIR sensor and also a microwave movement sensing device. False alarms are almost impossible with these detectors. They simply don't trigger unless something has moved. These detectors work great even in the harshest of conditions, such as a garage or shed where the environments they are protecting can change on a daily basis. You can also get a pet immune sensor based on this technology.

4: The Tri-Tech the same as a dual tech but with an inbuilt pressure sensing device. These detectors take up 2 separate zones on your alarm control panel and are the only single device that is currently approved to allow a confirmed activation in any one area by means of triggering both control panel zones when the two individual detector types have been triggered. Just 1 of these sensors is usually enough in the average home when combined with other detector types, as the pressure sensing device can have a very large range.

The DETECTOR webpage.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

• 1 year later...

Hello, its my first post so please go easy on me.

I work for a chartered building service engineering practice in the Midlands as an electrical engineer. As you would expect we design the M&E services for new buildings and refurbishment

As I understand it, the Tri-Tech uses two separate zones on the system thus will qualify. Will a Tri-Tech PIR fulfil the NACOSS requirements for double confirmation signal

I may be corrected, but i'm certain that at the moment NACOSS do not approve the use of these detectors.

I may be corrected, but i'm certain that at the moment NACOSS do not approve the use of these detectors.

59836[/snapback]

Yes Dave you are INcorrect. TMD's have been accepted by NACOSS for some time. They are an excellent solution to certain problems whether 2 No. PIR's or the pressure sensor.

Jef

Customers!

No problem Jeff..:) I half expected I might be, but seemed to remember some confusion as to their acceptabillity firstly because as you state above there was a concern about the detectors being too near to each other, and secondly if the feed to the sensor was damaged by any means (possibly by rats etc) then it would create the two activations required un-necessarily.

TMDs and tritech detectors are not the same,

A TMD Twin Movement detector is two individual PIR detectors in one housing as the optex sequad is a cutain and a normal PIR with independent relays for each.

Tritech is a patented terminology by Bosch for their 820, 835 , 860 and 970 range of dualtechs it is something to do with the way the pyro electric sensor coverts the infra-red energy it to electrical pulses in three stages (hence tritech) although called tritech it is still a detector with only one relay output.

TriTech - dualtec and pressure where did this come from ????

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

TriTech - dualtec and pressure where did this come from ????

Hmmmm Some A_T subbie jobs we once did, it's been a while ago though..

Archived