Security Installer Community

Outside Electric Meter

Guest Doma

Guest rjbsec
Are there alarms that would signal to a monitoring centre, that the power had been off for a certain period and monitoring centres that would act on this. I wouldn't expect them to do so immediately on a cut to the power e.g. on installing a second external light today, I'll switch off at the mains.

Power cut activations would initiate an immediate keyholder response by the ARC, which would mean that your keyholder would be able to attend and investigate the problem before any further damage was done.

Are there alarms that would signal to a monitoring centre, that the power had been off for a certain period

Yes indeed. Any decent panel is capable of this.

and monitoring centres that would act on this.

I guess (I must guess since I don't have any experience with any UK ARC) so. Here you just tell them what to do and how fast should AC LOSS alarm be reported to ARC.

I wouldn't expect them to do so immediately on a cut to the power e.g. on installing a second external light today, I'll switch off at the mains.

Usually there is some delay before the panel even reports the AC LOSS. This is to prevent multiple alarms to report AC LOSS simultaneously at every brown-out..

How would you advise protecting the external meter cabinet. Its a standard type ie fairly flimsy.

Depends of the structure but lucky guess is a "Biased Door Contact"

If I have an expensive high quality alarm system installed, I don't want to find it can be overcome so easily.

So post your location and some of our tough alarm engineers will quote you a decent panel with decent design and installation.

Maybe the answer is to combine it with CCTV recording as an additional disincentive?

No it is not the answer but indeed a good additional protection it would provide. First things first. Get the proper alarm and then think of CCTV.

CCTV alone is poor deterrant.

built in 2005 by one of the U.K.'s largest construction companies, on a site of several hundred houses......

A mobile home will probably last longer......

I was doing some work a few years ago on an old dears flat, gets there first thing, knocks on the door introduces myself and starts said work. She asked if I would light the boiler for her as the house was freezing and she couldn't light it. I tried to no avail, so I went to investigate, wheres the gas meter? outside she says, (you know what's coming) the door was blowing in the wind and some scroat had made off with the meter.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

and sometimes it is faulty engineer who gives out sensitive info to criminals...

QFA

In this case the alarm should go to battery back up and the process that we in the trade know should take place will follow unless it is faulty and that might not be a bad thing in this case.A good monitored alarm can signal ac power loss and before the backup batteries fail, a low battery signal which can be used to inform customer/keyholder before anything serious happens.

Practice in the morning, practice at night. Practice in the evening, until you get it right.

Only make sure you are practising in the right way at the right time for it.

actually i was referring to this ...

Yes I knew that Georgy :whistle:

Practice in the morning, practice at night. Practice in the evening, until you get it right.

Only make sure you are practising in the right way at the right time for it.

I'm a finance controller, I'd probably make a pretty hopeless burglar. Ask me any question on finance/tax/business law, hopefully I could provide a more accurate answer than your average burhlar. I checked the meter to change gas/electricity supply companies, still remember new supplier's gas rate of 1.924 pence (exc VAT) per kWh.

At 48 should I continue to opt out of serps or opt back in? well you did say you were finance?.

actually i was referring to this ...

I read about a home security installer in kent a few years ago who fitted a timer pcb behind the SAB (between SAB and wall) set to go open circuit every couple of months so he could get the call outs. Apparently he did this on a lot of installations. He was only found out when one customer called in another company who found the timer and reported him to Trading Standards.... :hmm:

Archived