Security Installer Community

New To Wiring

Guest chuckalicious

Care to explain in a LITTLE more detail? :whistle:

AFAIAA, unless they've changed it recently, you only have to be CORGI registered if you make a living out of doing gas work. If you are a DIYer then you can carry on and blow your house to smitherines as you see fit.

I'll check on this tomorrow as my dad is CORGI registered. ;)

AFAIAA, unless they've changed it recently, you only have to be CORGI registered if you make a living out of doing gas work. If you are a DIYer then you can carry on and blow your house to smitherines as you see fit.

I'll check on this tomorrow as my dad is CORGI registered. ;)

I'd be interested to see what he says. I'm pretty sure it's seriously (criminally) illegal to work on gas supplies and gas appliances in almost any way unless you're properly registered.

Somewhat off the topic of the thread though... sorry to whoever started it! :whistle:

I'd be interested to see what he says. I'm pretty sure it's seriously (criminally) illegal to work on gas supplies and gas appliances in almost any way unless you're properly registered.

Somewhat off the topic of the thread though... sorry to whoever started it! :whistle:

A quick look at the CORGI web site throws up:

Only a competent person can carry out work on gas appliances or fittings. Do-it-yourself work on gas appliances or fittings could be dangerous and is likely to be illegal.

Only a competent person can carry out work on gas appliances or fittings. Do-it-yourself work on gas appliances or fittings could be dangerous and is likely to be illegal.

Theres a grey area I've come across - Houseboats, even if permanently moored. I found this out because the Boat Safety Manual says 'There is no legal requirement, but is it strongly recommended [their emphasis] that LPG installations be carried out by CORGI registered personnel'.

Still, this probably belongs in another topic in another forum. Not much of a comeback after my 12 month absense (No, not Pentonville!) but hey-ho...

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Nothing to say competent = CORGI registered though. Bit like in electrics, competent isn't neccesarily NICEIC registered. Also, there's that 'could be' bit, so under some circumstances maybe not. I do all my own gas work as I haven't been informed that it's now illegal for me to do so and as my neighbour is also CORGI registered I'm fairly certain that one of these people would have told me I can't do it anymore.

As I say, I'll find out tomorrow.

Nothing to say competent = CORGI registered though. Bit like in electrics, competent isn't neccesarily NICEIC registered. Also, there's that 'could be' bit, so under some circumstances maybe not. I do all my own gas work as I haven't been informed that it's now illegal for me to do so and as my neighbour is also CORGI registered I'm fairly certain that one of these people would have told me I can't do it anymore.

As I say, I'll find out tomorrow.

Yup. Could.... Likely....

Not quite explicit enough are they.

Like so many other subjects these forums get into, it ain't necessarily clear at all :cry:

Archived