Security Installer Community

How Do You Guys Wire 240v To External Cameras

Alexg

Say you've got an instalation where there are 4 external cameras, 240v at each camera head.

Do you run a seperate feed to each housing and then run each back to a central point and have a spur for each camera in a bank together so each camera can be isolated independed of the other, or would you put just one spur in as one point of isolation and then loop in at each camera? is the former a bit eccesive?

If they are external Cameras either fit weatherproof spurs or fit metal spurs in a weatherproof enclosure. You will need to be able to isolate the power when you work on them.

Get the client to get a qualified electrician to do it.

All external mains voltage should be on an RCD as its outside the equipotential zone. If the job is for a domestic premises then you cannot do the electrical work unless you are part P registered anyway.

I tend to install a Gewis box with RCD in ran from the main dis board. Then have 4A mcb's for each camera.

Although Having talked to the likes of Delmiere, VT Genie, most modern day cameras dont always need a heater based housing. Like with the external domes the camera gives enough heat off to keep lense mist free. Only if installed when dry and a pack of silica gel always helps.

All external mains voltage should be on an RCD as its outside the equipotential zone.

Er, no actually.

A point of isolation should be fitted local (in a convenient location) to each device. Ruunning them all back to one central point isn't recommended from a BS7671 point of view.

If access internally is difficult then waterproof spurs outside, or spurs in adaptable boxes, or both would be a feasable option. I'd get someone else to do it if I were you though

Er, no actually.

A point of isolation should be fitted local (in a convenient location) to each device. Ruunning them all back to one central point isn't recommended from a BS7671 point of view.

If access internally is difficult then waterproof spurs outside, or spurs in adaptable boxes, or both would be a feasable option. I'd get someone else to do it if I were you though

It still doens't matter if they are isolated from outside, The mains voltage device is still outside the equipotential zone and there for should be on an rcd. Its no diffrent from an outside socket, spur light etc. If its outside the building then it should be on rcd.

I agree if its not possibe to always gain access to the property then means of isolation should be made. But then you could still bring up the same question with outside lights. You never see a weather proof isolation point for flood lights.

Say you've got an instalation where there are 4 external cameras, 240v at each camera head.

Do you run a seperate feed to each housing and then run each back to a central point and have a spur for each camera in a bank together so each camera can be isolated independed of the other, or would you put just one spur in as one point of isolation and then loop in at each camera? is the former a bit eccesive?

You could always use 12/24 volt cameras and housing's... :yes:

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Why do you guys always jump to conclusions, it drives me mad "I would get someone else to do it if I were you" you just assumed I wasn't able to do it. If I here part p mentioned again imma shoot somebody ;) lurch, can you tell me how doing it my way is a departure from the regs? How many other types of equipment have local isolation? external lights don't, you would have to go back to the DB to isolate them. I am not being ungrateful here, I appreciate the replies, but please guys, get all the information before you post your reply.

I'm a qualified spark, that

Archived