Security Installer Community

How Do You Guys Wire 240v To External Cameras

Alexg

Hi Alexg I'm not an electrician I'm whats called a competent person remember to isolate your low voltage (240volt) and coax cables in separate pipes through the hole you make shielded cable is not enough. Good luck I still get a buzz seeing the picture appear on the monitor

"That" word raises its ambiguous head again ?what is competant?who has told you that you are competant?what criteria is that opinion based on? is it a label you have given yourself?is it one which someone else has given you?are they competant to do that ?if so how are they competant to call you competant?not having a go at you toenee but THAT word makes my teeth itch!!!!!!

Paul.

"That" word raises its ambiguous head again ?what is competant?who has told you that you are competant?what criteria is that opinion based on? is it a label you have given yourself?is it one which someone else has given you?are they competant to do that ?if so how are they competant to call you competant?not having a go at you toenee but THAT word makes my teeth itch!!!!!!

Paul.

Hello Secboy

My training, many years ago was as a city and guilds qualified tv and radio engineer, but I'm now in the security industry. Working with electronic equipment you had to repair to a safe standard this includes PAT testing before handing over to the customer. In order to fit alarm systems powered from a 240 volt spur we were sent To ACT on there false alarm management course and this included a section on mains compliance. This part of the course was run by I think Leeds college and included a theory test on mains wiring and testing up to a level of fitting a fused spur and testing the final work. This made me a competent person as regards the above brief. I bet Alexg is glad some of the heat is of him and on me. I didn't Know there was anything wrong in my hint but if there is please tell me as the last thing I wont is to do a job which could hurt some one or result in a second rate job

the rcd question is valid,if as most are say 20ft high by placing'out of reach'will satisfy the regs but say its only 6ft high then a rcd would be wise as it then becomes an exposed conductive part..and the last thing you want is joe public (as they do) touching it when it develops a fault...

Paul.

or as the iee call an instructed person..quote..a person adequately advised or supervised by skilled persons to enable him/her(thats the pc bit) to avoid dangers which electricity may create'

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that has come up now is 2 of the cameras are going to be fed from a 16A breaker in a 3 phase panel in one building on blue phase, this will be on a seperate meter and seperate main cut-out from where the controls are going in the other building, in the other building there is just regualar a regular 240v db so I guess that will be on red phase, is this acceptable to have the cameras and the controls on a seperate phase? I must stress, PLEASE read that there is only cat5 linking the cameras to the controls via video baluns, there will be no coax connection between cameras and controls.

Is this acceptable?

Er, guessing phases? :no:

Are you sure it wouldn't be safer to sub the sparkying bits out, for the clients sake?

:angry:

I havn't had a look yet, I will obviously make sure so I know what what to put on the minor works CERT.

What I'm asking if I can have the cameras on one phase and the controls on another.

yes.

you might have to use video isolator thou..

Thanks, so its perfectly acceptable to have cameras supplied by one cutout, meter db and the controls it's connected to by another cutout, meter & db.

Archived