Security Installer Community

Backup Software

Nova-Security

• 5 months later...

Make your own software.

Put the below into a txt file, and call it something like backup.bat

And change to what you need then run it.... simple and free and will do shadowcopy

cd Documents and Settings\USER\My Documents

XCOPY *.* B:\BACKUP /d /e /v /c /i /f /h /y

Then if you want to shut the pc down after

C:

CD windows

CD system32

shutdown.exe /s /t 00

Make your own software.

Put the below into a txt file, and call it something like backup.bat

And change to what you need then run it.... simple and free and will do shadowcopy

Then if you want to shut the pc down after

C:

CD windows

CD system32

shutdown.exe /s /t 00

Could you elaborate for us without the computer degree please.

Trade Member

On your desktop, right click and select new, text file. Name it whatever you want, then open it. Select 'File', 'Save As' then at the bottom drop down box select All Files and call this file backup.bat. Click Save.

Now, enter the following into it,

where line 1 is the path to the folders you want to back up and b:\backup is the path to wherever you want it saving. You can repeat this as many times as you want in the same file for as many folders as you want or you can do a seperate file for each folder and set it to run at different times.

Wen you've done the above, exit notepad ensuring you've saved the file on the way out. Move the file to somewhere safer than the desktop, I like to drop them all in the root (C:\ drive usually).

Open 'Schedule Tasks' (I'm not sure exactly where this is on all Windows versions, Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools I think it is here on W2K, then select a new task to run the files you just created at certain times of the day.

Viola, automatic backups for free. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Can anybody recommend some software for backing up our database, quotes, excel files and accounts and stuff, we have been using windows own but i want some thing that could automate itself.

Try.

http://www.handybackup.com/

Just short of brilliant and its at a bargain price.

I use it day in day out.

Paul.

System Q Ltd.

Can anybody recommend some software for backing up our database, quotes, excel files and accounts and stuff, we have been using windows own but i want some thing that could automate itself.

i've used 'backup exec' with good results, it will backup all networked machnines at set times to tape drive etc. (god bless ebay :P )

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

• 6 months later...
We use Backupexec, now owend by Norton (Symantec). All backup Programs tend to be a console front end for the built in Windows backup.

We use USB Internal HP DDS3 and 4 Drives, Which only used to be SCSI, but now usb 2 is out they make the usb2 ones.

Up to 20 GIG uncompressed and 40 Compressed, depending on the drive.

Failing that Nero With Dual Layered DVDs (DVD9) or 2 x Standard (DVD5)

Dean

Forgot to add about the automation, you can use windows Scheduled tasks to do what you want. I have Backup Scripts (Batch files) if you need any help.

How do i get windows scheduler to back u, had a look but couldnt see anything.

Is this a poor way to back up, i dont have loads of data at the minute.

cheers

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

im sure the inbuilt backup software can do this, but what you gonna backup to. Usually proper software comes with your backup device

I curently back up cd, although i should do it more often. Im going to start doing it daily or atleast entering an important amount of data.

If i lock these cd s in the safe will ssaib be happy.

cheers.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Use NT backup and set a schedule, if you have 1-2 gigs to backup buy a USB key for every day of the week, and set your backup location to disk (ie the Mem stick) and remember to swap out and take home the sticks daily. If you have more data, then as James says external HDs are cheap these days use some of them. If using the same drive, i would set 5 seperate backup schedules one for each day, and call them the days of the week, this way you have 5 backups for the week instead of one. This will prevent total loss in the event of corruption.

Watchdog Security (Manchester)

Archived