Security Installer Community

Backup Software

Nova-Security

How do i get windows scheduler to back u, had a look but couldnt see anything.
On your desktop, right click and select new, text file. Name it whatever you want, then open it. Select 'File', 'Save As' then at the bottom drop down box select All Files and call this file backup.bat. Click Save.

Now, enter the following into it,

cd Documents and Settings\USER\My Documents

XCOPY *.* B:\BACKUP /d /e /v /c /i /f /h /y

where line 1 is the path to the folders you want to back up and b:\backup is the path to wherever you want it saving. You can repeat this as many times as you want in the same file for as many folders as you want or you can do a seperate file for each folder and set it to run at different times.

Wen you've done the above, exit notepad ensuring you've saved the file on the way out. Move the file to somewhere safer than the desktop, I like to drop them all in the root (C:\ drive usually).

Open 'Schedule Tasks' (I'm not sure exactly where this is on all Windows versions, Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools I think it is here on W2K, then select a new task to run the files you just created at certain times of the day.

Viola, automatic backups for free. :)

I have this set up and it copies to a network drive so you'd have to map a shared folder on another machine really. Not much point backing up to the same drive in the same machine. This is obviously no use if you don't have another PC.

Is this a poor way to back up, i dont have loads of data at the minute.

Depends where you back up to, all my data is on a NAS device (PC running some basic software that does nothing other than shares files). I back this up to DVD now and again and also have it synchronised with another PC on the network so there are 2 copies on the network and a DVD of everything. Really I should back up to removable media more often, if I was to do this then I think I'd invest in a tape drive of some sort.

You can buy a NAS device for under 200 quid that will come with software to manage backups, think the Buffalo range would suit. This is easier to set up than the above solutions as it just plugs into the network and can be mapped as a local drive.

Use NT backup and set a schedule

I've found this a bit hit and miss, but it was on W2K server and a couple of years ago since I last used it so it may have improved since.

cheers lurch ill see if i can do it.

I was thinking of leaving a cd in the cdrw and backing up to that, that be ok would it?

Also while im in the IT dept, a cd has attached itself to my pointer, any ideas anyone.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Its gone all of a sudden.

I did try to do a back up to cd earlier but no matter what cd i put in it was having none of it so deleted all files waiting to be copied and was going to do a re start and have another go.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

I was thinking of leaving a cd in the cdrw and backing up to that, that be ok would it?

It would be better than nothing, but so is an Omnicron panel. :hmm:

Oue external HDD backs up every day for 30days then starts again, so we have the last 30 days of records on the HDD that is in a different room to the main computer locked in a safe in the roof space.

Once a week i also do a back up to mem stick of the most important stuff and keep that away from the office. In case of fire.

Lots of good solutions have been offered, all have their place and suit different circumstances.

The key factors are:

How much data to be backed up - I think you said 6GB but is that all necessary each time?

How often do you need to back up and how quickly, and how fast do you need to be able to recover it?

What eventualities are you protecting against? This is very important to define clearly.

(e.g. accidentally overwrote my budget spreadsheet vs fire destroys tax records)

Are there any legal requirements to meet?

And there are lots of other factors, e.g. budget, what computers/network/services you have etc.

So, like an alarm installation, an assessment is needed............. :whistle:

Archived