Security Installer Community

Alarm Activation/deactivation Keyfobs

As there seem to be a large number of alarm engineer type people here - I'd like to get an opinion on keyfobs. Every new retail store system we've had fitted should have keyfob arming and disarming as per ACPO policy. We've gotten around it - and still get police response level 1 without keyfobs - but what are your views? What do you think of keyfobs? A good idea? A bad idea? Why? Do you think we should all use them? Do you think it's wrong? Give me your views - even if you are not an alarm engineer...

Good points have got to be that we are giving the end user very little to do with the systems by removing the codes.

Bad points, what if customer drops keys with fob outside of the premises or even if customer left keys in door. Its got to happen? :cry: .

I could have fitted a fob rkp on my home system ages ago but i think that a code is much more secure, so would better training for customers not be the answer instead of fobs.

Top tip: if you ever catch fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the mirror, because i bet thats what REALLY throws you into a panic and dont forget the one thing you cant recycle is wasted time.

Guest IM_Alarms

I much prefer fobs, doesn't matter if someone's looking over your shoulder, don't have to change it every time a member of staff leaves, .............

The main thing is that you get confirmed response after an entry.

As for dropping your keys/fob you just knock that fob off the system asap and that way you may get to catch the thieving scum when they give it a go.

As there seem to be a large number of alarm engineer type people here

Gosh in a security forum :hmm:

should have keyfob arming and disarming as per ACPO policy. We've gotten around it - and still get police response level 1 without keyfobs -

unsetting with a fob is more secure BUT not required by acpo

Arming with a fob is against ACPO is it not?

The reason behind it was to reduce false alarms from forgotten and wrongly entered codes, I believe, but I agree that it could be very insecure. The best way to comply is using a chubb lock IMO, or fob+code (but that defeats the purpose for which it was introduced)

If you don't know......ask.

As there seem to be a large number of alarm engineer type people here - I'd like to get an opinion on keyfobs. Every new retail store system we've had fitted should have keyfob arming and disarming as per ACPO policy. We've gotten around it - and still get police response level 1 without keyfobs - but what are your views? What do you think of keyfobs? A good idea? A bad idea? Why? Do you think we should all use them? Do you think it's wrong? Give me your views - even if you are not an alarm engineer...
You mentioned retail: I will make assumptions here: Fobs on a retail store is a big NO your employer is probably using his brain. DD243 6.4.5. using portable ace would render most shops completely unprotected as the retail space is on the entry route. Option 6.4.2 using a shunt lock is preferred but not ideal as most retail space has alli doors. 6.4.4 is perfect as alli doors are ni impossible to kick in and therefore other means of intrusion are used with the protected retail area getting immediate confirmed alarms. Only problem is insurers dont like 6.4.4.

Jef

Customers!

6.4.4 is perfect as alli doors are ni impossible to kick in.

It all depends on what type of lock is fitted to the door, as most you don't have to kick in ;)

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

It all depends on what type of lock is fitted to the door, as most you don't have to kick in ;)
JP i would bow to your knoledge on locks, and after re-reading DD243 2004 The interpretation. Ace is now considered acceptable as abnormal access to the entry route would allow detectors normaly on the entry to transmit confirmed.

Jef

Customers!

Anyone using the GardTec external set/unset reader - with mini maglock to prevent the entry door from being opened inadvertently before the alarm is unset?

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

One of our customers has an external MAX reader and maglock on the entry door, they cannot enter the building unless the system has been unset via the MAX reader. No chance of false alarms due to entry route deviation, staff entering wrong code etc.

Archived