Security Installer Community

Alarm Activation/deactivation Keyfobs

Arming with a fob is against ACPO is it not?

The reason behind it was to reduce false alarms from forgotten and wrongly entered codes, I believe, but I agree that it could be very insecure. The best way to comply is using a chubb lock IMO, or fob+code (but that defeats the purpose for which it was introduced)

hi brian - fit a Cubb lock! thats if anyone out there can remember how to do one? :hmm:

the spectre of chipped, split or doors refusing to open because the case has come lose allowing the wards to slip. or oil being squirted into the lock to ease it by the keyholder comes rushing back to me arrrgh!

we should be going forward in this field - not forced backwards into the dark ages by a ruck of CPO's, many who could not hack it in 'the job' and got shunted out of the way instead of sacked!

a big minus is loss of the keys to a chubb lock attached to an alarm system requires an engineer to visit with a change of wards - a slow and very expensive proceedure for the client - even assuming he has a set at short notice in his vehicle and the mechanical skills. in most cases extra keys are required for more keyholders, throw in the k/h service, cleaners the nightmares returns.

a lost fob at least, is individual and can be quickly deleted and replaced afording a degree of restored security to at least some level very quickly. if you have gone along the road of a mini maglock which is active when the alarm is set then temporary security is even better.

chubb locks suffer frow ear on the brass key guide against the casing making for eventual problems in opennning the door, the keys get dropped and bend the outer teethe of the key.

so for me no Chubb Locks, if you want reliability fit a mini maglock or solonoid lock and external prox pad (like gardtec).

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
I looked at it but wasn't sure about the quality. Would be interested to hear views of anyone who has fitted them

Paul

hi paul, i have used Gartec Prox for some time, i have also used both the internal and external prox reader which is an extension to the G-TAG keypad. they are superb, by using the on board relay or output expander you can control a maglock, solonoid or night latch.

i used a solonoid lock rather than a mini-mag as it is far easier to flush fit but remember you also have to fit an EMX switch and they aint pretty!. :no:

Gardtec panels come with 'intellegent' part set, so for night time (if they do not exit by the front door) it auto part sets for P1 or P2 as programmed, so not requiring a keypad upstairs :yes: .

if you use the Gardtec Radio module (it allows 10 zones + 10 fobs) and the radio fobs its even better as the above applies in spades. :whistle: a a big problem with the latest regs is if the client wants to drive out of the attached garage. as long as you fit a contact on the garage door you can use the auto part set with the radio fob B) .

a bonus is having 4 buttons SET/UNSET and 2 of which are spare you can also control the garage door from the same fob - cool!

I know many love the Galaxie Panels and good on them, can they match Gardtec panels functionality in this area? i'd be interested to know as i have never used or ever seen one.

did Galaxy used to be Castle Panels? boy they were a nightmare to get the hang of in the early days :cry: .

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived