Security Installer Community

New Alarm - Should it Have an Internal Sounder?

Guest Andy_S

Hi All,

I have just bought a new house from a large 'reputable' builder XXXX and it came with an alarm fitted as standard. The alarm system wasx fitted by the builders own alarm company - XXXX Alarm Systems Ltd.

My question is should it have an internal sounder fitted? I have intentially set the alarm off and the siren sounds outside but it is quiet inside! Is there nothing in any of the standards (eg BS4737, etc) that requires this or states that it is good practice?

The system is a wired type, as far as I can tell comprises of the following components:

- 1 x IntelliSense Securit 800L Alarm Unit

- 1 x IntelliSense Control Panel - not sure exactly which model

- 2 x Panic Buttons - Hall & Bed 1

- 2 x Proximity Sensors - on front and back doors

- 6 x PIR Detectors - hall, lounge, landing, dining, study, kitchen

- 1 x Bellbox with strobe on front

- 1 x Dummy bellbox on back

Obviously, my neighbours also have these alarms fitted to their houses, and with no signal inside, good double glazing, it is easy to not realise it is your alarm that is going off. Late the other night, I heard an alarm going off and went out to investigate. I found that it was my next door neighbours alarm and had to wake them up to tell them that their alarm was going off - Bizzarre! :-|

I have asked the builder about this, and have just been told that to their knowledge, they never put internal sounders in their properties.

All help warmly welcomed.

Thanks,

Andy

Yes it should have an internal sounder, as far as the regs go i dont think its a rule but of course an alarm isnt much of a deterrent to someone who's in your house if they can't hear anything as no one will take any notice of the outside siren.

Unfortunately its all too common that housebuilders always fit the most basic systems they can get away with, it always very much of a non important item.

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Yes it should have an internal sounder, as far as the regs go i dont think its a rule but of course an alarm isnt much of a deterrent to someone who's in your house if they can't hear anything as no one will take any notice of the outside siren.

Unfortunately its all too common that housebuilders always fit the most basic systems they can get away with, it always very much of a non important item.

Montey although i agree dont send this chap to war with his builder on your say so. Internal sounders are required through and outside the exit route and a lot of keypads satisfy this.

Jef

Customers!

Jef,

Montey although i agree dont send this chap to war with his builder on your say so.
Don't panic, I'm not going to have a battle with the Builder until I know exactly what I am talking about.
Internal sounders are required through and outside the exit route and a lot of keypads satisfy this.

I am not sure I fully understand what you mean? Can you explain?

Thanks,

Andy

Tell your builder that your insurnace comapany have asked for a written specification for your alarm system, once you have this, you will be able to see what standards they say the system complies with and be in a position to let the rest of us know and we will be able to advise you correctly. You also have to consider that the system may have been to add value to the house sale and not to comply with current regulations.

Well, if you have an exit fault when you leave you are supposed to be able to hear the internal siren sounding, as a prompt for you to go back in and check why the system didn't set (as Jeff was stating). I doubt very much that you will hear this from any keypad speaker. But as others have said, if the system wasn't installed to any standard then I don't suppose you have any recourse, but I would get the system checked out by a a professional company as Pete says, and take out a maintenance contract etc.

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Too true with the builders comments. Shortest cable runs, cables in same holes as mains or telephones in joists, detectors facing windows.

I've noticed that on a lot of building sites, they tend to get their contracted electricians to fit the alarms. Unfortunately, it's people like us who have to go out and silence them when they are installed into incomplete houses and the site is shut meaning the continuous external sounder is annoying those who have had the misfortune of just moving into their brand new house nearby.

It amazes me also when I open bell boxes that are environmental health nuisences and find things like nails holding the tamper button in as the spring has been lost.

As for internal sounders. I thought the rule of thumb was that you must be able to hear the alarm become set from outside the protected area. With me being wholly CCTV now, I don't know how that rule stands with things like strobe set or sounder set comfirmation external sounders. Whatever the rules, I think an alarm is somewhat incomplete without an internal sounder anyway. Unless your client is deaf of course.

ACE.gif

My aplogies for going slightly off topic but the previous post got me thinking PC.

If you should have audiable setting tones but do not have to have visual setting indications then surely that is dicriminatory to the deaf............. :hmm:

My aplogies for going slightly off topic but the previous post got me thinking PC.

If you should have audiable setting tones but do not have to have visual setting indications then surely that is dicriminatory to the deaf............. :hmm:

We discriminate every day.

Jef

Customers!

Archived