Security Installer Community

Gardtec locked code query

Allso

My personal opinion is that engineer codes should never be locked if the customer owns the equipment. If the customer wants someone else to maintain their alarm panel they should be able to. You just have to make sure as a company you offer them a good service and then they wont need to look elsewhere. I dont think any of our competitors lock their panels either. So I would say in my opinion it will probably not be locked and in my experience isnt the done thing unless it is owned by the installing company.

Trade Member

According to my ex-inspector (NACOSS) it would be classed as anticompetitive beaver to lock an engineer code into an alarm panel that is sold to a customer outright. I would suggest asking the company to unlock it FOC, if they wont contact their inspectorate.

Trade Member

According to my ex-inspector (NACOSS) it would be classed as anticompetitive beaver to lock an engineer code into an alarm panel that is sold to a customer outright. I would suggest asking the company to unlock it FOC, if they wont contact their inspectorate.
Paul are you sure that conversation was'nt about service timers.

Jef

Customers!

I don't agree that it is unfair or wrong to lock the eng code whether the customer owns the equipment or not. It protects the alarm company a little bit more whilst a contract is in place and more especially whilst money is owed.

AFAIK every contract has a minimum term and a clause that says no one else shall have access to the panel. Why therefore not enforce that?

If a customer wants to change companies (rare) and there are no outstanding invoices that are valid and fair, then come along and change the code FOC - I definitely agree with that. But I don't see why we should leave ourselves vulnerable to the client that has had loads of free call outs, gets charged for one (genuinely) and so tries to change companies out of cheapness, ignorance and stupidity.

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

I've absolutely no idea if its locked or not - the only way to find out is to ask the installing company, or to get someone else to try to default the codes.

I wanted to ensure that a failed effort to default the code won't affect the programming, or render the panel inoperative until the original company can attend. According to Zak it shouldn't.

To find the software version I presume I'll have to open the panel, which will cause a tamper with bell ring until I silence it (I hope that the tamper isn't on engineer only - it wasn't before, but I had to get an engineer out recently and hopefully he hasn't changed it). I'll have a look if it will make a difference to the advice I get, and during daytime so as not to disturb the neighbours too much. Can someone tell me how to find the software version in a Gardtec 593?

Allso

I've absolutely no idea if its locked or not - the only way to find out is to ask the installing company, or to get someone else to try to default the codes.

I wanted to ensure that a failed effort to default the code won't affect the programming, or render the panel inoperative until the original company can attend. According to Zak it shouldn't.

To find the software version I presume I'll have to open the panel, which will cause a tamper with bell ring until I silence it (I hope that the tamper isn't on engineer only - it wasn't before, but I had to get an engineer out recently and hopefully he hasn't changed it). I'll have a look if it will make a difference to the advice I get, and during daytime so as not to disturb the neighbours too much. Can someone tell me how to find the software version in a Gardtec 593?

Allso

If you have a 593 then there is a modem on it by default. If it has been set up then your eng co can dial in and reprogramme the code. I take it though you'd know if they connected to your telephone line.

The only way you can tell the software version is to open up the panel and read it off the main processor. It is extremely unlikley that Tamper alarms are on engineer reset. If you do opt to open the panel (don't really recommend that you do) then when you replace the lid your user code will reset the system back to normal operating mode.

Is your panel a polycarb unit or metal?

Allso

Trying to default the codes and not succeeding (or even succeeding) will not affect any of the other programming in the panel. For sure.

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Modem not connected.

Polycarb. housing, not metal.

I realise there is normally 240V AC inside. I think the correct procedure is to take the 3A fuse out of the fused spur it is powered from before opening it (to find the version). (The battery is only 1 yr old so it should take the strain).

Allso

Don't bother opening it!

Just had a look inside one here - first of all you need to remove the PCB from its cover (held by clips) which exposes all the circuitry, which I DO NOT RECOMMEND. Second of all, it is unlikley that the software version will be written on the chip. Just looked at 2 panels here and it is not written.

The only way to get the version is to power down the system, and after powering up, the software version will be displayed for a few seconds on the remote keypad (which I am assuming is LCD English text).

Archived