Security Installer Community

Reasonable quote?

Guest John C

Evening all.

Just wanted to run this by people who know what they are talking about!

I've had two quotes so far. One was laughable by taking a whopping 6 minutes to arrive at!

The other involves the following:

BS 4737 + DD243 Compliance

4 Bedroom detached house

Wired install

Bells only

Company known from friend

Hall: Keypad with display, proximity reader, 4 settings

Hall: Internal sounder

Garage: Control panel

Garage: Heavy duty reed switch

Main Door: Magnetic reed switch

Hall: Quad passive infra-red detector

Lounge: Quad passive infra-red + microwave (room sees a lot of sun)

Landing: Quad passive infra-red detector (all upper doors from landing)

Front: Self-actuating siren + strobe

Rear: Self-actuating dummy

All in - £600.

My queries:

Does this stack up?

This system will be installed after 1st October - should I be pursuing the latest EN standards for installation?

Probably a bit of a dim question, but are the ACPO-related standards mentioned on this site required for all alarms regardless or just those to be monitored?

Any advice and pointers greatly appreciated.

Many thanks and kind regards.

John.

ACPO is only relevant for monitored systems.

On the information you have provided that looks a very reasonable quote.

EN standards are not entirely finalised and as an end user they wont give you more for your money just cost you more as i see it. If the current standards have been good enough for however many years i cant see the benefits to the average domestic user, specially a bells only system. Dont concern yourself with standards by using an accredited company, they have to comply and you will have to pay for the priviledge.

Many non accredited companies will provide just as good a service to the same relevant standards probably slighty cheaper.

More importantly for me, if the company recommended to you are to your liking then maybe your should go with them as reputation is probably a better pointer.

As for a quote being produced in 6 minutes, well it doesnt mean its a joke, could be the guy knows his business well and if he's not installing he's not making money.

What is a "self-actuating dummy"?

Systems specified before 1st October but installed after don't need to be modified to EN.

Price is cheap. Don't you have any other rooms downstairs to be protected?

Also, it doesn't make a difference if it is DD: 243 compliant unless you are very quickly going to be upgrading to monitored with Police response. But it is probably a better panel if it is.

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

As it happens, the system 'complies' with BS EN 50131/PD 6662 - I've since re-read the documentation for the components again.

I understand it probably costs more with standards. I guess if a system is capable and could be used in a 'monitored' situation (at least for the foreseeable) - I have more confidence in it - as you say - probably a better panel etc.

I think the 'self-actuating dummy' in this context means the same looking box as the front but a dummy version for the rear.

We only have a lounge, hall, kitchen, toilet and utility room downstairs.

6 minutes was laughable with regard to very few questions being asked and I already knew the guy was in a hurry. An assumption was made that I knew everything about alarm systems which, as you can tell, I don't. I was also made to feel I was wasting their time. They need better customer service skills I think.

I think the bottom line is I was happy with the company who provided the quote I posted. As you say - if a company is to your liking...

I didn't think about the proximity situation although these were suggested to be given to people who might be relations etc. I think 'we' i.e. myself and other half were recommended to use the code.

I only take my handbag out on the weekends so I will think twice about putting a prox in there! :whistle::P

Thanks for the pointers chaps.

cheers.

John.

LOL @ Ian,

He should hang around the forums more.

There's always plenty of handbags being brandished on here :whistle:

Regards

Chris

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Guest MSI New York

Always get monitoring, otherwise you don't have an security system, you have an ugly wall decoration. Sure, an amature thief looking for an opportunity to score some quick easy money to support his habit will be scared off by the loud noise, but a profesional will simply pick his time and target, and will be in and out as soon as possible. It would be nice to have the police waiting for him on his way out, otherwise you're never seeing your jewlery again.

"My name is Emily and I am a lady, you know, and I like ladies things."

I thought about monitoring but the extra cost and extra hoops you have to go through - to be honest, we don't have the high individual value of goods to warrant it. We do have quite close proximity neighbours who we get on with.

I see it more as a deterrent but as you say, it wont stop a professional. Although we do have very strong hardwood windows, 7 lever + multi-point locking doors and windows to BS standards. A professional would have to go to a lot of effort to get in with very little reward (I imagine they will have done their homework on what we do and don't have).

There are easier fish to fry up our road!

Thanks again for now.

John.

Guest MSI New York
I thought about monitoring but the extra cost and extra hoops you have to go through - to be honest, we don't have the high individual value of goods to warrant it. We do have quite close proximity neighbours who we get on with.

69339[/snapback]

Okay, as long as you can reasonably expect those neighbors to call the police as soon as they hear something funny going on next door. Here in New York City, your neighbors don't care if you live or die, and no one ever calls the police just because they hear sirens- because sirens go off all the time.

Remember, the most you can hope for from an alarm is detterence- if the bad guy sees you have an alarm he will go for an easier mark.

As for you remark about not having stuff worht stealing- I hear that all the time, and I always reply with: but, how does the bad guy know you don't have stuff worth stealing? Do you have a big sign on your front lawn reading: "Attention thieves- I'm Poor. Don't Break Into My House, There's Nothing Worth Your Time. Try the Cassanovas, Three Houses to the Right. Bob Just Got a Raise and He Bought a Big Screen TV"?

I realize monitoring is expensive, but its cheaper than not having monitoring. Besides, I know that over here the insurance companies take off ten per cent of your homeowners or renters insurance if you have an alarm with monitoring, maybe you should ask your would-be installer about that?

Archived