Security Installer Community

Reasonable quote?

Guest John C

As for you remark about not having stuff worht stealing- I hear that all the time, and I always reply with: but, how does the bad guy know you don't have stuff worth stealing? Do you have a big sign on your front lawn reading: "Attention thieves- I'm Poor. Don't Break Into My House, There's Nothing Worth Your Time. Try the Cassanovas, Three Houses to the Right. Bob Just Got a Raise and He Bought a Big Screen TV"?

I realize monitoring is expensive, but its cheaper than not having monitoring. Besides, I know that over here the insurance companies take off ten per cent of your homeowners or renters insurance if you have an alarm with monitoring, maybe you should ask your would-be installer about that?

69366[/snapback]

Thieves wouldn't know (unless they looked through hard enough to see) - don't get me wrong, I'm not banking on this to stop it happening. It's more we genuinely don't have anything really worth stealing - so if someone were to go to the trouble, they wouldn't get much of a reward.

I could get monitoring - but if someone holds a gun to my head and takes all our stuff - monitoring wont help. Like you say - there are easier targets (I said fish to fry and that's what I meant).

It's always a trade-off between risk, what you have to steal vs. what you are willing to pay for security and insurance. I am well insured against losses too.

It's nowhere near as hard where I live as it is in New York. I know of some places which might be similar but I am fortunate not to live in one.

Insurance quotes typically adjust by about US$15 I've found when I've enquired with regard to my circumstances if I were to have a monitored alarm. I guess the insurance companies don't perceive much point for me where I live.

cheers.

Insurance discounts for most people will not cover the cost of the alarm in their lifetime.

With regard to not having valuables, unfortunately there are a lot of scum people around, and they may decide to wreck your place, defecate on your clothes, carpets and walls etc. Burglary is a lot more emotional than people realise. People have moved because of the trauma of a burglary - some people have to buy new sets of clothes because they can't bare the thought that someone broke in and rifled through them.

So, having a monitored alarm will reduce the time that type of intruder can stay in the premises. But you are correct: security is a compromise between cost, risk and restriction of life style.

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Guest MSI New York
It's nowhere near as hard where I live as it is in New York. I know of some places which might be similar but I am fortunate not to live in one.

Insurance quotes typically adjust by about US$15 I've found when I've enquired with regard to my circumstances if I were to have a monitored alarm. I guess the insurance companies don't perceive much point for me where I live.

cheers.

69373[/snapback]

Goodness, only $15? Cheap jerks, those insurance people. It's a lot more here.

Also, I sometimes forget that not everyone has the need for security that we have here, where I know people who would cheerfully gut a live kitten for half a line of blow. Living in one of the most violent places in the English speaking world (till about six years ago anyway; Detroit has since taken that title) will do that to you.

Good luck on your installation anyway.

^_^

Living in one of the most violent places in the English speaking world (till about six years ago anyway; Detroit has since taken that title) will do that to you.

Good luck on your installation anyway.

^_^

69887[/snapback]

Good old Guliani!

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Guest MSI New York

Compton is somewhere in the top ten. New York is about number three or four (Newark, New Jersey is number two; when I did a job in a public housing project we demanded and got one armed guard for each technician to follow us around all day).

Don't believe everything you see in music videos. :P

Don't believe everything you see in music videos.  :P

70197[/snapback]

Haha, that's probably where I got that idea from.

In all seriousness - I did watch a documentary filmed in LA about rival gangs etc. and crew were filming with the cops.

It's all relative I guess but it was certainly a "badass 'hood", as they say.

Lots of claret etc.

Nasty.

:(

Guest MSI New York
It's all relative I guess but it was certainly a "badass 'hood", as they say.

70268[/snapback]

Hah. I'm from Flatbush, Brooklyn. We eat those guys for breakfast. When I do service calls in certain parts of my old neighborhood, I wear a bulletproof vest.

$500, not a bad investment. Heavy as heck, though.

:blink:

Wow, we certainly got off topic there, didn't we.

Archived