Security Installer Community

Ademco Microtech Galaxy 16+ transformer

Guest SjB

Trying still to keep an open mind, this is looking more and more like a dodgy connection or dry joint problem...

67571[/snapback]

I think so.....after what you mentioned about the pressing of the board.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

I think so.....after what you mentioned about the pressing of the board.

67582[/snapback]

Thanks for the second opinion.

Given that the external sounder was activated when I removed the battery with the power supply disabled, I guess it will also sound if I label all wiring (backed up with some digital photos!) and then disconnect it prior to removing the board from the box?

I have a fine-tipped soldering iron and would like to do this to reflow any joints obviously connected to the fused circuits. All such joints are on the reverse (hidden) side of the board and I am also wary about inducing currents from the soldering iron with the sensors and other gubbins still connected (even if "dead").

In a similar vein, do I need to worry about static sensitive devices before I start brandishing a soldering iron?

TVM.

Is it not something as simple as the fuse holder isnt tight enough on the fuse?

67627[/snapback]

Thanks for the suggestion but if you read back up the thread you will see that I also thought that so removed each fuse and squeezed each pair of jaws together. Now each fuse is absolutely as tight a fit as a bendy bit of metal ever will be.

Resigned to the soldering iron though still unsure about licking my finger and presumably grabbing hold of the adjacent water pipe for a bit of conductance! ;-)

Works for me. ;)

67643[/snapback]

Well if it works for a pair of pros, guess what I'll be doing in the 'morrow!

Thanks guys, and I will report back either way.

One last question first if I may though, please;

I see that one pair of wires leaving the PCB (towards bottom right) have a schematic picture of a loudspeaker printed on the board adjacent to them. If I remove these wires first, will I disable or tamper-trigger the external sounder?

I ask because as much for ease of access as anything (I don't fancy being stretched in to the airing cupboard trying to do an accurate and professional job) I'd still like to completely remove the PCB if I can (without annoying the neighbours for half an hour in the process!)

Archived