Security Installer Community

Ademco Microtech Galaxy 16+ transformer

Guest SjB

Those wires goto your internal speaker.

67648[/snapback]

Thanks Dave, and also for the battery charge suggestion a few posts up the thread; the LED is flashing now, and if it still is in the morning I will perform the repair, mains off but backup battery still connected (to stop the external sounder being tamper-triggered).

I'd completely power down the panel, i.e. remove all mains and battery power first, before attempting to remove it from the case, let alone solder it.

To prevent the external bell from sounding whilst the panel is powered down connect the hold off + and - directly to the battery terminals for the duration of the works.

I'd completely power down the panel, i.e. remove all mains and battery power first, before attempting to remove it from the case, let alone solder it.

To prevent the external bell from sounding whilst the panel is powered down connect the hold off + and - directly to the battery terminals for the duration of the works.

67652[/snapback]

Thanks Stuart; I think I am now getting close to what I have wanted to do ever since suspecting a dry joint; remove the panel to repair it properly. Unless corrected I will now;

1) Carefully record each connection along with some photographs (I am helped by each set of wires having been clearly labelled by the installer)

2) Power down mains

3) Loosen the two screws where the PCB is stamped HOLD + and -

4) Disconnect the battery

5) Whip out the HOLD + and - wires and connect to the battery with clips that I have

6) Completely remove panel to repair

7) Repeat the process to reassemble

Guest Guest_John_*

Would I be right in assuming that after replacing the battery you closed up the end station and came out of engineering back to 'day', this is the way to clear the 'flashing LED'?

A very sincere "Thank you" to all who have freely helped me; job done, and the Galaxy 16+ that I have been so happy with is now fully functioning again. :rolleyes:

What was also nice was despite being practical by nature to still be able to ask quite basic questions (measure twice, cut once) without being flamed or ridiculed. I have however printed this thread and stored it with with the alarm documents inside the case in the event that I ever need to refer to it again. It is also a record of what has been done for whoever follows me in the future!

A good weekend to all.

• 2 weeks later...
Resigned to the soldering iron though still unsure about licking my finger and presumably grabbing hold of the adjacent water pipe for a bit of conductance! ;-)

i think he meant eath yourself first so you don't damage anyting on the board with static.

• 1 month later...
Guest Raymond

I had a similar problem with a Galaxy panel that had been pressed into service after a year sitting on a shelf unconnected. The low voltage errors commenced, and I put this down to a duff battery, so nipped into Maplins for a replacement. Same problem, with a low volatage indicated. Suspecting a faulty battery, I swapped the battery over with one from my own Galaxy 60 and it woked fine in the 'new' system... and my trusty panel now gives me the low battery warning. Leaving it in place with the LED flashing, I returned the following day to discover all was well - it seems the replacement battery was almost flat, and it took an initial charge to bring it up to spec. Ever since then, no problems.

I had a similar problem with a Galaxy panel that had been pressed into service after a year sitting on a shelf unconnected. The low voltage errors commenced, and I put this down to a duff battery, so nipped into Maplins for a replacement. Same problem, with a low volatage indicated. Suspecting a faulty battery, I swapped the battery over with one from my own Galaxy 60 and it woked fine in the 'new' system... and my trusty panel now gives me the low battery warning. Leaving it in place with the LED flashing, I returned the following day to discover all was well - it seems the replacement battery was almost flat, and it took an initial charge to bring it up to spec. Ever since then, no problems.

New batteries dont come fully charged, thats why on installs many engineers prefer to fit the main panel, keypad and external sounder first, that way the batteries all get a few hours of charging before you have to commision the system.

Archived