Security Installer Community

Opera Software FREE

j.paul

Anybody using The Opera Internet browser?

Opera is an Internet browser with a pop-up blocker, multiple-window navigation, mouse gestures, keyboard shortcuts, an e-mail client with a spam filter, and integrated search for user security and speed. The cross-platform browser includes a multitude of other functions, such as IRC-compatible chat, support for RSS newsfeeds, a password manager, and one-click customization and privacy-protection settings. Mouse gestures and keyboard shortcuts allow for accelerated Web navigation while the Fast Forward and Rewind buttons ease browsing. Users can run multiple windows as well as personalize the user interface with one-click skins. The browser also contains special elements for users with disabilities, drag-and-drop support, a notes function, user profiles, and a host of other features. Opera supports the latest in security and provides password and cookie managers.

Opera 8.02 includes security upgrades and smaller bug fixes.

Download it here

For one day only, you can get an ad-free version of Opera. Simply click link below to get a free registration code. This offer is valid from 12 a.m. Tuesday, August 30 to 12 a.m. Wednesday, August 31 2005 (PDT).

So be quick ;)

free registration code

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

I saw this on another forum earlier and am currently downloading.

The ads always put me off Opera, I did use it years ago but I got fed up of it, especially when I can run Firefox for free. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
For one day only, you can get an ad-free version of Opera. Simply click link below to get a free registration code. This offer is valid from 12 a.m. Tuesday, August 30 to 12 a.m. Wednesday, August 31 2005 (PDT).
Now it's gone free full time..?
Opera loves its browser so much it is setting it free. The Norwegian company has decided to abandon its previous policy of incorporating an ad-banner into the free version, with users having to pay a licensing fee to remove the advertising and receive support.

The move is clearly intended to increase Opera's share of the highly competitive browser market, but at what cost to the company? Not a lot, it claims, as its focus is now on garnering new users rather than extracting revenues directly from them. A spokesperson told us that 45 per cent of the company's desktop revenues now come from search tie-ups (integrated searching of eBay and Amazon is part of Opera, as well as Google's AdSense programme), and what this means is that the more people Opera can get on board the more its search revenues will increase...

Full Story HERE

Download Ver 8.5 Here..

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

• 1 year later...
Opera kicks firefoxes ass

Depends on what you use it for and from what background you're from. To drag the average IE user to Opera would be a mess and it would get a big thumbs down. Opera is good, but so is Firefox, they both have different strengths.

hi all

as it's firefox for me, imo use the 'if it aint broke don't fix it' as it applies when it comes to software in most cases

regs

alan

I've tried Firefox and it seemed ok, but then i noticed things slowing down whenever Firefox was running. That's when i found just how much memory it takes up. On its own, that wouldn't be too bad but unfortunately i have a couple of very memory intensive applications i have to run...so that was the end of Firefox for me.

Is the latest version more memory efficient??

Andrew

Is the latest version more memory efficient??

No.

The only problem I have with Firefox is the memory usage, although I don't frequently use memory hungry applications and it only really starts to show signs of slowing things down when I've left the PC\laptop on for a few days with other applications running.

There was an addon\extension that cleared something in Firefox every time you minimised it so it returned the memory usage to a more reasonable amount. I can't seem to find this now though.

No.

The only problem I have with Firefox is the memory usage, although I don't frequently use memory hungry applications and it only really starts to show signs of slowing things down when I've left the PC\laptop on for a few days with other applications running.

There was an addon\extension that cleared something in Firefox every time you minimised it so it returned the memory usage to a more reasonable amount. I can't seem to find this now though.

hi Cubit & Lurch,

from task manager on my laptop it shows 25,040k under Mem Usage, i don't know what the previous versions used though. i tend only run programs as and when needed to assist with any speed issue's

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived