Security Installer Community

Running alarm cable with mains cable/lighting etc

Guest roonster

I nearly replied yesterday that the scanny is a good panel but has got to have the worst looking keypad ever and theres nowt wrong with the excel panels either.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Guest roonster

the texecom premiers are quiet pricey considering they are diy kit compared to the industry standard.

Control panel costs about 60 and seperate RKP small lcd cost 55 quid!

so 115 for just the panel and RKp, excluding batteries etc i presume.

oh and the premier 24 has 1 "area" the 48 has 4. What does area mean in this context?

An "area" in texecom speak is a subset of zones on the system that are grouped together so you can set / unset them independantly from each other. so in effect they work as separate systems.

Different manufacturers call them different things, Menvier call then "wards" and Honeywell, Ademco, Microtech call then "groups" but the import is the same.

I still think you'd be better off going down the Scantronic / Menvier route though mate.

Oh, and avoid the excel although a capable panel it's a glorified Veritas. complete with buzy transformer.

Sounds like somebodys plastered a hornets nest into your wall :no:

If your stuck with texecom get a premier at least.

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Premiers are not DIY kit.

Nothing wrong with Veritas.

If they did have a buzy transformer (which ive never heard), the control panel is out the way so wouldnt be heard anyway.

I didnt think there was much difference in price between the 2.

Premiers are not DIY kit.

Nothing wrong with Veritas.

If they did have a buzy transformer (which ive never heard), the control panel is out the way so wouldnt be heard anyway.

I didnt think there was much difference in price between the 2.

64252[/snapback]

Err, They are easily availible to end users and are bundled in several diy kits, so YES they ARE DIY equipment, Several co's won't use them because of this, jb-eye and Wakefield will both confirm this.

As for whats wrong with veritas, read THIS on a thread about them and my reply to it.

As for the buzzy tranny, Do a quick search on this site and you'll see I'm not alone in noticing this. If you have never heard one you must be going deaf :whistle:

An example Would be Monteey's reply to the above thread where he commented:

Oh and i have to agree with Bellman on the VR8 transformer buzz, have changed at least two turning a customers wall into a nice amplifier! Still good panels though!
and lurch's comment
No thread that mentions buzzing is complete without a Veritas reference.

Not wanting to argue this point as i mentioned earlier

I personaly am not a fan but several eng's on here like them.

Regards

Bellman

Guest roonster

ok I want something decent. So im gonna rule out the texecoms now indefinately.

Its gonna be either a scantronic 9751 or menvier TS590.

I think when you weight up the cost between "diy" kit and pro kit its about the same. So why pay for "diy" kit i guess.

Will ask local trader if he supplies only. As fitting is being done by a mate who has just done a course on alarm installations as a hobbie/ on the side kind of thing. So perfect opportunity for him to test out what he's learnt at my house for FREE!!

Just that he cant get hold of the panels. So im gonna try get a good one.

Just because they are available to the diy market dosent mean its a diy panel like the wickes and B&Q ones, I agree it would be better to make them available to trade only.

Just because of a couple of faults on them years ago dosent make them a bad panel now.

Ive read that thread before on trannys buzzing that loud customers have moaned and i can honestly say ive never heard it and im not any where near deaf.

I know some lads love em some hate em, but at the end of the day they are a good panel.

Just because they are available to the diy market dosent mean its a diy panel like the wickes and B&Q ones, I agree it would be better to make them available to trade only.

agreed the Wickes / B&Q panels are a long way under the veritas.

I also agree they should NOT be availible for diy use but they are so they are now stuck into this market and they have tarnished their reputation irrevocably because of this which is a shame as the premier is a much better panel than the veritas ever was.

Just because of a couple of faults on them years ago dosent make them a bad panel now.

The same faults are still there, 9 years down the line...

I know this because I still get called to repair them :no:

Ive read that thread before on trannys buzzing that loud customers have moaned and i can honestly say ive never heard it and im not any where near deaf.

I know some lads love em some hate em, but at the end of the day they are a good panel.

64277[/snapback]

Your one of a rare few then mate as it's a common complaint I get from end users over them, it is easily fixed though with a few drops of silicone on the mounting posts and a good tighten with the screwdriver.

I'd also have to agree with you (I'll never live this down all this agreeing :whistle: ) about the love or hate thing.

Opinion is very divided and polarised over them. Each to their own at the end of the day but I'd not want customers to:

1, find out how much they cost so they can argue over pricing or

2, have my company reputation blackened because people think i'm fitting what is thought of to be diy equipment, this is the reason several co's refuse to touch them.

good debate about the pro's and cons though ADI, even though we have wandered off topic a bit ;)

Regards

Bellman

Your point number 2 is one that has crossed my mind quite a few times and has made me think of changing but i like them and think they have the best keypad going. I know a keypad doesnt make the system or add anything towards reliabilty, programming features ect.. but its what the customer sees and uses. Its a shame the manufactures dont do something about it. Anyway i think at the beginning of this post there was a photo of the menvier keypad which didnt look to bad, ill take a closer look.

Theres nothing wrong with wandering. :yes:

Archived