Security Installer Community

Barking Dog Alarm

Guest Dobbin

He has probably considered that and perhaps will be isolating the dogs in an unprotected room....

63587[/snapback]

Bad idea Zak, the whole idea of what we do is to design and install a system which is to protect the property, not individual rooms.

Could happen, lock them in the kitchen, isolated kitchen pir every time you go out, get fed up with isolating so link it out, dogs die, scumbags breakin in to the kitchen find car keys, tv, money, get a nice bit for their effort and drive away in the car. Good idea :no:

Now what would a proper company quote ? shocks on perimiter windows, contact on all external doors, perhaps a pressure sensor (not me) Pir in the hall just in case they come out of the kitchen, would they get in ? doubt it, now the kit list that has been provided is just texecom mirage PIR based system, we all got our favorite PIR (Optex and you know they are the best) so if hes got dogs how long is it going to be before one dog in the kitchen and another in a different room because they are not getting on, and he cant be bothered to omit two zones so he just goes out leaving the system switched off.

Why have you all given good information, because you want to help, i agree with this, but now he has dogs which was not mentioned at the start.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

Nova,

He is resigned to the DIY route.

Negative preaching about how "professional" systems should be installed dosn't help matters. Granted some things were ommited (dogs for example) but thousands of systems accross the country have isolation zones for pets or alternative methods of protection instead of volumetric. this dosn't automatically mean that the system is useless. If he decides to isolate detectors for pets thats up to him, I often isolate detectors on my own system for various reasons.

It's often not possible to give 100% protection because of individual circumstances (like pets for example) but some protection is better than none.

Anyway, he could always buy a kennel. :whistle:

Not having a go, just my opinion.

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Hi. Dobbin.

Cut your costs.Iv'e seen garden gnomes that WOLF WHISTLE @ £2 EACH.Now that is a deterent. :whistle:

On a serious note I have always gone in for perimeter security.ie.Shock sensors and contacts on every possible point of entry.I have also fitted high intensity LEDs on the sensors protecting what I consider the most vunerable areas so that they are easily seen, and to act as a deterent.I also found this system usefull for when I was working (now retired) and on call.I could go out,leaving the wife alone and free to move around the house with the alarm set.

Best wishes with your project.

Tony Heath

Guest Dobbin

Nova

So previous posts have been a waste of time on the kit list thread, due to you have dogs,
Why do you think that they have been a waste of time. Am I not allowed to have an alarm if I've got dogs? If you go to a customer to fit an alarm and find they have dogs do you say "Sorry I cannot fit you an alarm coz you've got dogs"? I don't think so!

While I still have a couple of LITTLE dogs I will secure them in a room and omit that zone when they are in the house. Seems simple enough to me or am I missing something being a DIY installer?

Bellman

He is resigned to the DIY route

I thought I made it pretty clear. I am not RESIGNED to the DIY route I am positively looking forward to it! (starnge as it might seem to you). I look forward to your help in the future.

Tony

Thanks for the good wishes.

***** CAN I JUST MAKE IT CLEAR ***********************

***** THE BARKING DOG ALARM IS OFF MY WISH LIST ******

BUT

point taken. I have now crossed the Barking Dog ALarm off my wish list.

Thanks everyone for making me see sense and saving me £60.

Thats what these forums are all about!

Ok?

Lets move on?

Someone please ask another question.........Please?????????????

Dobbin

Moving away from barking dogs, but still on the 'have a go at Dobbin' slant;

No need to omit zones, use areas.

A professional installer would know this and would set the system up accordingly using all of its features. ;)

Guest Dobbin

Lurch

Okay 'have a go' if you must! I have wide shoulders!

So are you saying that omiting zones is wrong and wouldn't work? OR are you just trying to flex your muscles and show how exceeding clever you are and how stupid I am (at installing alarms that is!).

Dobbin

Dobbin, you misunderstand.

My use of the word resigned was in the context of you wanting to do it rather than get a co to, The definition of resigned being "To submit (oneself) passively" so if your not "resigned" to it i'll recommend you some companies to do it for you. :whistle:

The fact that you look forward to it or not is your perogative. nor do I think it strange, why would I?

Regards

Bellman

The latter!

Nothing wrong with omitting zones but if you set up areas then you just set say area A for everything and area B for everything except the room the dogs are in.

Guest Dobbin

Lurch

Hmmmm. I Thought so!

When you're not trying to be too clever you have good information to impart. Why did you not just say "take a look at using areas"?

I will have a look at using areas even though I am not a professional!!

Bellman

No offence taken

but if you want to argue semantics........

as your definition shows resigned means

"To submit (oneself) passively"

I would argue that I am neither 'submitting' or being 'passive'.

I am 'choosing' to 'actively' Do It Myself.

Now I am off to bed. Lurch go pick on someone your own size (and giant intellect!!)

Thanks

Dobbin

not my definition Dobbin, from here

and if you want to split hairs over semantics then by your own example:

as your definition shows resigned means

"To submit (oneself) passively"

I would argue.gif that I am neither 'submitting' or being 'passive'.

I am 'choosing' to 'actively' Do It Myself.

I am proved correct as if you were not resigned you would be either

forced or coerced, and that would imply you have no choice. :whistle:

sleep well.

Regards

Bellman

Why did you not just say "take a look at using areas"?

63626[/snapback]

Because you'd have probaby said what and why. Although you are determined to cobble this in on your own I'm seeing this being a right state when it's done. You've come up with some barmy ideas, argued with all engineers on here because you're better at installing alarms than us and you still wonder why people say leave it alone.

I despair, and pity your neighbours.

Nova

Why do you think that they have been a waste of time. Am I not allowed to have an alarm if I've got dogs? If you go to a customer to fit an alarm and find they have dogs do you say "Sorry I cannot fit you an alarm coz you've got dogs"? I don't think so!

Dobbin

63618[/snapback]

You can have a alarm if you have dogs, but your wish / kit list is wrong. The list does not include any shocks or perimiter detection.

"Sorry I cannot fit you an alarm coz you've got dogs"? I don't think so!

Wrong..........

Dobbin, you cant ask for people to ok your kit list when you have not told them you have dogs.

If you are local to Manchester, ring me i will come around look at your premises and give you a couple of options and a proper kit list for a proper system,for you to buy and install.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

If you are local to Manchester, ring me i will come around look at your premises and give you a couple of options and a proper kit list for a proper system,for you to buy and install.

63638[/snapback]

Nova, be careful NSI rule 2:20 DIY kits. Read it. I recommend you disassociate yourself, and think about your design liability even if you don

Customers!

I'm sure dobbin knows all about the pointless nsi rules and that complete rubbish called bs4737..... dobbin... good luck.... knock yourself out kid!!! Any chance of some finished pictures when the installs complete.... I could do with knowing how a proper intsall looks.... not done one myself for years....... (lol) come on guys it's got to be time to tell him that the security installer site is a micky take out of installers and we're all here to take the piddle as we haven't ever seen an install in our lives!!!! We're all intruders really who haven't been reformend yet!!! Mav_001 HMP Borstall :roflmao:

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

To be fair this is another of the last requests that led us all up in arms when someone come on here after advice, then decided that he knew better, and then got all defensive and upset when people who knew what they were on about had a go at him. IF YOU COME ON HERE ASKING FOR ADVICE THEN LISTEN TO IT. WE ALL KNOW WHAT WE ARE DOING BECAUSE WE ALL DO IT DAY IN AND DAY OUT FOR A LIVING, MOST OF US HAVE OUR OWN COMPANIES AND KNOW A DAM SITE MORE THAN JOE BLOGGS DIY. UNSTANDABLY WE'RE GOING TO GET REALLY HACKED OFF WHEN ASKED FOR ADVICE BY SOMEONE WHO KNOWS NOTHING BUT PRETENDS TO KNOW EVERYTHING. IF YOU KNOW BEST THEN BEGGER OFF AND DON'T BOTHER ASKING FOR HELP IN THE FIRST PLACE, THIS SAVES US ALL TIME AND A LOAD OF HASTLE WASTING TIME ON COMPLETE W***KERS AND LEAVES US TO ANSWER QUESTIONS FOR PEOPLE WHO REALLY NEED HELP AND VALUE ADVICE!!!!!! banghead arggg:smash::sucks:

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

Guest Dobbin

Ok. Enoughs enough! I don't know what I've done to upset you guys but if I have unnecessarily upset you I do apologise.

PLEASE EXCUSE MY LONG POST BELOW BUT I FEEL THAT I AM BEING UNJUSTLY ATTACKED HERE.

READ THE FULL STORY AND MAKE UP YOUR OWN MINDS.

DOES EVERYONE THINK I AM IN THE WRONG HERE?

I do not accept the comments that I haven't listened to the advice I have been given!

I have accepted many of the comments and advice given on this forum (!!..DIY Alarm Installers..!!)

For example

1. I accepted why there were exclamation marks on the title of the forum once it was explained to me.

2. On the advice of DPENGINEER I considered the Texecom Veritas R8+ and Excel. They didn't fully meet my needs.

3. On the advice of Smoke-Screen I checked on the SMShield module.

4. Accepted advice regarding Insurance Company.

5. Asked the question about vetting in the Alarm business and was interested and noted reply re 10 years vetting.

6. Accepted blindly the fact that whatever security system I put in there will be many people that can get round it (although I still haven't got a clue how - and I don't want to know!)

7. After advice and comments from Monteey and Breff I decided to go with Texecom Kit (and also because there are a very limited number of good systems available for non trade installers.

8. Accepted using Dual Tech detectors instead of Quad.

9. Upgraded bell on advice from Antinode.

10. Added an extension speaker on the advice of Bellman.

11. Brilliant advice from Antinode about bench testing the system before full installation. I will definitely be doing this.

12. Bellmans good advice about reading the manual and then reading them AGAIN to see the things I missed on first read (that is so right!)

13. Advice from Maverick about using Direct Burial Cable or EGA tube for the garden to garage run. I will check both out. Good to have the correct things to ask for.

14. Breff advised not putting the dual techs within 1 metre of each other coz the microwave can go through the walls and interfere with each other. Good advice I have now re-positions where I am placing my detectors to take this into account.

15. Extension speaker for the garage. The LCDLP keypad has a speaker output.

16. Run the below ground ducting form INSIDE the house to INSIDE the garage. Excellent advice to prevent water ingress

17. Bellman said avoid pointing detectors at heat sources like boilers or fires. We are having a gas fire installed so that advice will be taken.

18. Advice from Georgahti about never pointing Dual techs so they can see the window (Dave Partridge queried this)

19. Mister Dave recommended a good company to contact regarding getting a quote. I did get a quote from them.

20. Dave (Service Engineer) advised me to Email each company with a list of all the kit you require and ask them for their best price. Don't order each item seperately. I did this and saved a fortune (at least 20 percent). I was going to order them seperately from the website!

21. Rich explained to me what Sky Hooks and a Long Weight were!

22. Nova-Security gave me advice to think about Redcare. I checked it out and was a bit tempted BUT as he himself said it would rule out my involvement in the installation (which is what I am looking forward to!)

23. Nova-Security advised me to check with my insurance company refarding the high level of computer kit I may have in my house. I did actually check with them. They said that at the level of protection I wanted and because I wasn't claiming any discount for the alarm they were not really interested.

24. Asked advice regarding how many zones the kit I was suggesting would take up? I was given various advice but the general rule seemed to be one zone per detector.

25. Fastcar advised a zone expander and told me that the rkp has a PA onboard (which I didn't know)

26. Breff explained that I have two extra zones in the keypads which takes me up to 12 zones which should meet my requirements without having to purchase a Zone Expander. He also explained how to wire this up.

27. I asked a question about placing a detector in a conservatory and advised to use a Dual Tech. Chris j also told me he had one in his conservatory and hadn't had a false alarm yet. Which was reassuring.

28. I then asked a question (and started a thread) about a 'Barking Dog Alarm'. After much advice (and quite a bit of ribbing) I took everyones advice and I trashed the idea.

I have always tried to be polite and thank everyone for their contribution. I have joked with a few of the guys who started joking with me but I didn't think that I had ever been particularly rude except when someone was less than helpful (sometimes downright abusive) with me!

Some of the negative comments I have received are:

LURCH

Just keeps on recommending getting a professional company to install the system (recommended by him on at least four separate posts!). A bit less than helpful on a forum entitled "DIY Alarm Installers"

ALSEC

Oh no how will we all survive!!! I didn't realise that you were tendering out the extensive security system in your house consisting of a premier with 5 passives and a smoke head!!

Sorry mate but who really gives a toss about the fact you can write computer programs - where is the relevance??

JB EYE

Serve you all right for entering into conversation with anything more than what is in the user manual. I rarely entertain the public forums as im in the business of selling my knowledge not giving it away. This guy has made some very professional installers look like complete chumps, and it wasn

Guest Dobbin

NOVA

Do you still maintain I haven't listened to any advice?

What's it about mate? Eh?

Why your recent negative comments?

Dobbin

Chill out lads, just because he enquired about that barking dog, doesn't mean he was thinking of not installing his alarm system.

It was just an enquire and we gave him our opinions on it. There's absolutly no need to start moaning at Dobbin, it looks like he is/has taken all the advice well and is just considering ALL options.

I just get the impression, he's asking a lot so he can get it right 1st time.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Ok. Enoughs enough! I don't know what I've done to upset you guys but if I have unnecessarily upset you I do apologise.

PLEASE EXCUSE MY LONG POST BELOW BUT I FEEL THAT I AM BEING UNJUSTLY ATTACKED HERE.

READ THE FULL STORY AND MAKE UP YOUR OWN MINDS.

63697[/snapback]

O.K. a lesson to be learned. i said it before and will say again for those who missed it QUOTE:

Serve you all right for entering into conversation with anything more than what is in the user manual. I rarely entertain the public forums as im in the business of selling my knowledge not giving it away. This guy has made some very professional installers look like complete chumps, and it wasn

Customers!

Archived