Security Installer Community

Barking Dog Alarm

Guest Dobbin

Guest Dobbin

I have seen a device on an american website that looks a useful alarm accessory. It is called a barking Dog alarm. The desciption says

"The barking dog can also turn on lights in your house. When someone approaches your house, the dog will start barking and about 10 seconds later light will come on, making the intruder think the dog woke someone up. This is the best way to make burglars think you are home when you are not"

It is called reX10 so I presume it is an X10 device.

Barking Dog Alarm

Has anyone seen these is the UK?

The only one I have seen in the UK is slightly different

Guard Dog Alarm

This seems better in some ways because the dogs attitude changes as the person gets closer. It seems a bit expensive for what it is and it doesn't turn on any inside lights after the barking starts (which I think was a neat feature).

Has anyone used one of these and can testify to it's effectiveness?

It is said that a barking dog can put off most burglars. What does everyone think?

Dobbin

If someone invents a roaring lion I'll be impressed.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

This is why you should get someone in to install your alarm. I could set it so the lights come on after the barking thing has started, as could anyone else here.

Personally, I'd forget the idea.

I could set it so the lights come on after the barking thing has started, as could anyone else here.
Did a farmhouse once, miles to the nearest neighbour. Upon alarm triggering 3 nova4Q's sounded and 4 500 Watt halogen lamps flashed on 5 secs off 1 sec..Looked very impressive...

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Guest Dobbin

Tony

A dog loads cheaper? You must be kidding (or you haven't got a dog!).

1. Purchase Price - pedigree from £300 to God knows what!

2. Vets bills - huge - just for the initial vaccinations never the "you know what" operation. If it gets ill.........

3. Holiday bills - for putting it in a kennel you are talking about an extra £400 for your two weeks holiday. AND the dog isn't in your home to scare off those burglars!

4. Food - Depends on what they eat but reckon on about £20 a month.

5. Accessories - Leads, dog bowls, dog baskets, etc.

The Dog alarm is a one off payment of £60 AND it protects your home when you are on holiday!

Nuf said?

What you think now Tony?

Dobbin

BTW - I have got two dogs, but they are getting on a bit. I am just doing a bit of forward thinking for when they 'retire'. In the eleven years we have had them we have never been burgled once. Even though our next door neighbour was once burgled about three times within four months!

Guest Dobbin

Guys

Are you all talking about something happening AFTER the alarm is triggered?

I am talking about prevention which surely is always better than the cure.

I have read that a dog barking is one of the best deterrants you can have. Am I wrong? What is your opposition to one of these devices? Have you any substance behind your negative comments or are you just taking the "Well I know better coz I am a professional installer and he hasn't got a clue.....". Lighten up. Look at what I am suggesting and let me know why (for a measly £60) you think it won't work or be of benefit as a deterrent? Give me something with your reasoning!

The alarm system will come into play if the person ignores the barking and breaks into the premises. And you have given me enough information to ensure that I install that properly.

I presume that the outputs of the alarm could trigger devices? What sort of devices do they connect to and what standards do they use?

Dobbin

Guest RICHL
I have read that a dog barking is one of the best deterrants you can have. Am I wrong? What is your opposition to one of these devices?

63549[/snapback]

two examples spring to mind;

1 - a customer who had a rottweiller for home security, and it was stolen! (in fairness it was called sophie)

2 - a customer who came home to find their house had been turned over and the dog had had a good kicking.

Both these houses didnt have alarms but do now.

Archived