Security Installer Community

Staple guns

Guest MSI New York

A lot of people here have said basically the same thing: "If you use it right it's great, if you make a mistake or if you're a moron you can really screw up the wire and the install".

True of everything, really. In a residential install, we (my company) allow for minimal stapling as long as its into wood, as long as it's neat (staight lines, turns at right angles), and as long as it blends in (tuck it into the groove of the moulding, don't just run it up a wall). And it has to be certified with a meter, pass a resistance test.

Sometimes you just can't snake the line, no matter what you do, after all.

Speaking of the Attic Hardware Store, today I found a very nice flathead screwdriver in an attic. A Klein's, too, not a cheap one. Sorry, air conditioner dudes, but that screwdriver will be opening my beers from now on.

A lot of people here have said basically the same thing: "If you use it right it's great, if you make a mistake or if you're a moron you can really screw up the wire and the install".

True of everything, really. In a residential install, we (my company) allow for minimal stapling as long as its into wood, as long as it's neat (staight lines, turns at right angles), and as long as it blends in (tuck it into the groove of the moulding, don't just run it up a wall). And it has to be certified with a meter, pass a resistance test.

68969[/snapback]

Agree with the above :yes:

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Nothing wrong with staple guns, what about the unseen damage of missing clips and hitting the cable with hammer?

Both are fine as long as used properly, there must be millions of staple gun jobs without problems.

PG Security Systems

Somerset

SSAIB Certificate of Merit Installers.

www.pgsecurity.co.uk

• 4 months later...

In the hands of a competant person the staple gun can be the most appropriate tool to use for the job.

In the hands of an incompetant person it can be the worst.

The cable that is being stapled should be of high quality and the staple gun should be adjustable to allow for hardness of the wood.

As for getting a warning for possessing one, I used the excuse that I use it to staple cc wire to boards that the boarderuppers have fixed to shop windows after a smash and grab for temporary security, as this also gets a second chargable callout it worked for me. Plus the customer is happy because he knows he can go home knowing that his alarm is back on. :ninja:

Practice in the morning, practice at night. Practice in the evening, until you get it right.

Only make sure you are practising in the right way at the right time for it.

I use it to staple cc wire to boards that the boarderuppers have fixed to shop windows after a smash and grab for temporary security, as this also gets a second chargable callout

I must add that to my big book of excuses :whistle:

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Archived