760 members have voted

1. 1. Engineer Manuals

• Engineer--Provide them if Asked
    • Engineer--Do not provide them at all
    • User--Im happy to leave the serious stuff to the pro`s
    • User--Its my Alarm, I have the right to a manual
    • Un-decided

Guest stevebux

I have recently had a new alarm installed, prior to the installation I requested that all manuals and codes are left with myself. The first 2 companies did not want to do this, both came up with lame excuses; for your own safety, the police wont let us, basically I think it's a scam to ensure that installers have future work. The 3rd company I used had no problems in leaving me everything, in fact they went as far as saying that with all manuals it was a piece of cake to fault find with the system, and that adding extra features was well within the users capability.

The 3rd company I used had no problems in leaving me everything, in fact they went as far as saying that with all manuals it was a piece of cake to fault find with the system, and that adding extra features was well within the users capability.

I am glad they left you the manuals to your system, but have to wonder if they have also left you with the Engineer code..? Also I agree that most systems are quite easy to configure and add to, but there are a suprissing ammount of people out there they can't even wire a plug properly but will still have a go at anything.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Guest stevebux

The installers left me everything, including all codes - which I insisted they entered to show me that they all worked. I agree with you that there are people who can't wire a plug, hopefully they know their capabilities; as I know mine, and if they felt unsure about attempting modifications, would not do it. All too often we have to call engineers out to make minor repairs/modifications and get charged a hefty sum for doing so, when with the manuals/codes to hand you can quite easily solve the problem.

The installers left me everything, including all codes - which I insisted they entered to show me that they all worked.

:no: I would not have done the job, I've had several arguments with customers after the engineers manuals or codes. "I want it, it came with the panel and i'm entitled to it" is the usual line trotted out. luckily for me the panels I fit do not come with engineer manuals as I only fit professional equipment. The install co are in breach of EN50131 by leaving you manuals and access codes.

There are tons of reasons why I wouldn't have done it as listed in great detail above.

Say you got broken into and the alarm failed to operate correctly, Who's to blame?

The installing co or you who have access to all the manuals and codes?

I'd hazzard a guess that the alarm co's insurance company would laugh you out of court since you couldn't prove it was their fault (it's not only them who have the engineers access code)

Each to their own I suppose.

I think it's a scam to ensure that installers have future work.

Bless the nievity :P

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Glad your happy about getting your manuals/codes. Bet your insurance wont be though (if you inform them you have an alarm that is). as as mentioned above it's only going to cause trouble later if/when there is a bad 'situation' arise (break-in, fault, etc)

Trade Member

• 2 months later...

As a user ho installs systems for myself I don't see the issue with providing install manuals. Perhaps if proof of purchase or ownership was required to get them maybe! I agree that burglars could use them to their advantage but having said that, from reading these forums, most burglars would just disable the panel with a large hitty stick. Surely the answer firstly is that if you set up the system correctly using a professional then the idea is prevention rather than cure. I just don't see that burglars would be turning up armed with the manual rather than a crowbar.

Agreed that on a contract/monitored system teh manuals perhaps should not be available as you're paying for the service anyway, but on a DIY panel install it's a pretty safe bet the protection level isn't particularly high anyway.

User has purchased the system and all literature assumably :yes:

the contents of the box have nothing to do with the end user, just because your equipment came with a book in the box does not mean all do

unless the contract states you get an engineering manual and i've yet to see one that does, you will not get one from a proper comapny

Archived