Security Installer Community

Powering Cameras

Guest cold2000us

Guest cold2000us

Hello

I am trying to install some surveillance cameras in my house and I have everything bought but I am having some trouble powering my camera's efficently.

I have a PC based DVR system and I am using CCD BNC cameras with RG59 cable. The problem comes with placing cameras where there is no where where I can plug in the power adapter to power the camera. I have searched the net and have not really found anything.

I was wondering if there is an alternative way to power it. Is there sometype of cable I can run along with the rg59 coaxial wire that will serve as an extension for the adapter?

Any help/suggestion I would greatly appreciate.

Thx

Jeff

Your plug in psu will probally have a jack plug on it, cut this off then run a .75 2core cable with your rg59 to the camera. Join the psu to the 2core by using a alarm type 6 way jb. If the camera only has a input for a jack plug do the same type of join at that end as well.

Top tip: if you ever catch fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the mirror, because i bet thats what REALLY throws you into a panic and dont forget the one thing you cant recycle is wasted time.

Agreed, cut the lead to the camera from your adapter about halfway so you still have something to plug into the camera end. Join a suitable 2 core cable to each cut end of the adaptor cable and away you go. Try to keep the cables as short as possible as the cables will suffer some voltage drop.

Failing that go to maplins and buy an extension cable or the parts to make an extension cable, take the adaptor with you so you get the right size connectors.

By the way, a good nights sleep helps the brain to rest and work better the next day hehe! 4AM get some sleep man :whistle:

Your plug in psu will probally have a jack plug on it, cut this off then run a .75 2core cable with your rg59 to the camera. Join the psu to the 2core by using a alarm type 6 way jb. If the camera only has a input for a jack plug do the same type of join at that end as well.

58928[/snapback]

Am I missing something from over flow regs, why does everyone keep insisting on running 0.75mm cable for a 12v / 24v ac 500ma ?

BTW that wasn't a dig PJF, just that I have heard a few people quoting .75mm core cable for low voltage cctv cameras, in my oppinion it is overkill.

The cable is rated on the amount of power it can carry to an item that is drawing it, .75 i believe is rated at 4amps ?

.75 cable will not cause a problem, and should you want to change the cameras from low voltage to mains, as long as the cable installation meets the electrical regs then its also a good idea.

But in general, it is alot heavier and more expensive.

.25 to .5mm flex is generally more than adequate.

Please if there is something I am obviously unaware of please let me know.

I do generally use .75mm 3 core flex rich ......... coz i sort of get it for nothing. :whistle:

I keep the left overs from the 500mtr drums i use in the superMARTs, 30/40 mtrs per drum is generally no use there.

Oh and the reason we use it in superMARTs is everything is powered from the CCTV room so some cable runs are 300mtrs+.........

I suppose I am assuming a little too much (something I accuse my missus of allot)

I was picturing small installations in small buildings, where trunking will generally be used, .75 takes up a fair bit of space.

If you want to change your cameras for mains powered at a later date ,you dont need to rerun the power cable if you use .75 flex

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

If you want to change your cameras for mains powered at a later date ,you dont need to rerun the power cable if you use .75 flex

58994[/snapback]

Only if you are a rougharse. a) I'd not want it running the full length next to the co-ax and B) using flex for fixed wiring is a contravention of BS7671.

Archived