Security Installer Community

Powering Cameras

Guest cold2000us

We have alwas used .75 regardless of the size of the run. Its easier to do that than having a couple of different size cables on stock, the .75 gets used a lot by us on access as well. I all for the simlpe life as a present I carry in my car

100m 8core

100m 6c screened

100m belden

100m rg59

100m .75 2c

Its only a matter of time before my Vauxhall gets upgraded to a Scania.

cheers

PS. we once were told to run .75 2c to our expanders from the psu, When the tamper was mentioned there was a lot of blank looks from the chiefs who should have known better.

Top tip: if you ever catch fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the mirror, because i bet thats what REALLY throws you into a panic and dont forget the one thing you cant recycle is wasted time.

If you want to change your cameras for mains powered at a later date ,you dont need to rerun the power cable if you use .75 flex

58994[/snapback]

Running 240v with coax!! :no::no::no:

Trade Member

As Mr Kingswood said "Dont forget the 6 P's when installing.....Proper Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance!!!"

John Kingswood(alais Nobby), Paul Earl Ltd 1985-2006

using flex for fixed wiring is a contravention of BS7671.

58998[/snapback]

On which point?

Previously having differing colour codes for fixed wiring?

On which point?

59093[/snapback]

On the previous and current point of flexible cables are for final connections between fixed wiring and electrical equipment.

Flexible cables are not for use as fixed wiring, regardless of the colour of the cores. The colour of the cores can be rectified by using suitable identification such as coloured sleeving at the points of termination.

On the previous and current point of flexible cables are for final connections between fixed wiring and electrical equipment.

Flexible cables are not for use as fixed wiring, regardless of the colour of the cores. The colour of the cores can be rectified by using suitable identification such as coloured sleeving at the points of termination.

59143[/snapback]

So are you saying you shouldnt use flex no matter what.

I dont know where the length of of a final connection is mentioned, surely it only refers to use of flex as a means of supplying mains 240v not 12v dc?

I dont know where the length of of a final connection is mentioned, surely it only refers to use of flex as a means of supplying mains 240v not 12v dc?

59158[/snapback]

Sorry, I was referring to flexible cables carrying 240VAC. Using flex for supplying the cameras with 12\24V is fine.

As for the length of a final connection, not sure if it is mentioned off hand, but it is most definitely not 30+ metres running across roofspaces, up walls and under floors.

ok then, which bs7671 regulation states i can't?

59678[/snapback]

I knew someone was going to ask that. I'm sure you're just being argumentative but I'll have a look, not got a copy of the regs to hand.

Sorry lurch

But the most relevant reg I can find is-

521-01-04 a flexible cable or flexible cord shall be used for fixed wiring only where the relevant provisions of the regulations are met

So you can use flexible cable for fixed wiring

Archived