Security Installer Community

Lost drill bit

vandamme

I recall a former boss of mine drilling into a kitchen wall to fish out a keypad cable. The neighbour came around to complain of a carton of UHT spinning at great speed in her ktichen cupboard. :oops::shy:

I went up into the attic...I found a Stradavarius & a Picasso. Unfortunately.....

Stradavarius couldn't paint, and Picasso made a shocking fiddle.

My Facebook page...http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=1279556853&ref=name

• 4 months later...

A colleague (honest, it wasn't me!) was fitting several pir's upstairs in one house.

He went to the corner of each room to drill a little hole and pass a wire through the hole. He was saving time by making one trip up the loft to collect up all the wires in one journey.

All went well...until he realised that one room was an extension...with a flat roof!

He had drilled through the roof!!!

He had drilled through the roof!!!

:cry:

:oops:

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

• 1 month later...

I remember not too many years ago, we were working on a leisure centre, we had a new guy with us who had come straight out of colledge. I thought I would give him something easy to do and asked him to measure out and drill some holes to run cables between floors, should keep him out of trouble i thought HA HA & go off for a cuppa. next thing I know the centre manager is screaming in my ear, the fool had only gone & got his bearings mixed up and drilled a hole straight up through the middle of the floor in the managers office and through the side of the managers nice new shoe he missed his toes by a mm.

Customers Love us, Intruders Hate us.

I hate this cowboy trick.

make cable hole [if two of you, one bang up with blunt bit on board] insert cable in hole, drill 20mm hole in board above and fish. thats how it should be done. ;)

if you get some iron filings and spread them on the board first roughly in the area expected,

attach a bar magnet (from a door contact) to the end of your cable access rod, push the rof against the floor from below the filings will be attracted to the magnet and show you where the end of the rod is so you check with pipe/mains/metal detector and can drill down ;)

handy if you need to get op in a corner with laminated floors

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

if you get some iron filings and spread them on the board first roughly in the area expected,

attach a bar magnet (from a door contact) to the end of your cable access rod, push the rof against the floor from below the filings will be attracted to the magnet and show you where the end of the rod is so you check with pipe/mains/metal detector and can drill down ;)

handy if you need to get op in a corner with laminated floors

regs

alan

I like that tip!

I think I'll use this one from time to time.

• 6 months later...

A 'friend' of mine was on a job once, drilled through a wall to see if he could fish his mains cable straight up the cavity into the loft, only to realise there was no cavity, and had drilled straight through into next doors kitchen cupboard smashing thier best china!

Neednt to say, the boss was not happy! :angry:

echosigkn8.jpg

A 'friend' of mine was on a job once, drilled through a wall to see if he could fish his mains cable straight up the cavity into the loft, only to realise there was no cavity, and had drilled straight through into next doors kitchen cupboard smashing thier best china!

Neednt to say, the boss was not happy! :angry:

:oops:

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

Archived